PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP pro, OEM or Retail

medchemistMA
08-17-2008, 09:20 PM
I will be building my new desktop soon and I will be using XP pro as the windows OS. I have thought about just sticking the old drive in the new box (or restoring an old OS image) to see if I can get it to boot with the drivers CD from my new motherboard in the optical. I thought if I could get it to boot, I could fix everything else with various driver CDs and updates.

...anyway, since I think that plan is unlikely to be sucessful and I will need to buy a new copy of XP, I am a bit confused about the choices.

If I buy the OEM version of XP pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116515

can I just install it and go from there, or are there going to be registration issues? Does OEM just mean that I don't get a support contract with the software?

Thanks for the advice,

MedchemistMA

The Wise Monkey
08-18-2008, 04:37 AM
Check out this article:

http://compreviews.about.com/od/general/a/OEM.htm

medchemistMA
08-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Nice article, I would recommend it for any new builder.

I also read this article which had similar information.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/glossary/f/oemsoftware.htm

It looks like the major danger is buying OEM that is really illegitimate software disguised as OEM, off the back of the truck a it were. I will be buying from newegg, so that is not a problem.

It seems as if an OEM OS package is intended from me to install if I am building the computer and then selling it to someone else. I presume, therefore that it will work, and register properly etc. (what would be the point otherwise), but that would sort of imply I was a retail outfit with an OEM agreement with Microsoft, which clearly I am not.

I guess I am most interested in the experience of other. Have members in this group installed OEM XP on their home built systems without difficulty, or have there been issues? The user reviews on newegg list some problems, so things are not completely clear to me at this point. I would, of course, prefer to pay the OEM price if that is feasible.

Thanks,

MedchemistMA

The Wise Monkey
08-18-2008, 06:06 PM
I am running an OEM version of Vista 64, and have had no problems so far - all updates work correctly, it passes Windows Verification checks, and all my drivers are compatible.

medchemistMA
08-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Very good, then it sounds like I can go ahead and order the OS.

On another tack, what do you know about XP 64 bit? I am inclined to go that route since all of my hardware is new and I would like to take best advantage of it. Do you know if the 32 bit software I currently use will run on a 64bit system? I would guess that the OS has some provision for this, but I don't know.

MedchemistMA

The Wise Monkey
08-19-2008, 03:26 AM
Hmm, I can't say that I would recommend XP 64-bit. All 32-bit software should run on 64-bit, and the OS maintains two separate Program Files directories for 32- and 64-bit programs.

However, finding compatible drivers might be quite difficult as XP 64 is not as widely supported as the 32-bit version or Vista 64.

Khapheen
08-19-2008, 11:47 AM
I have a quick question here as well, and thought I might as well add it into the thread. I've been thinking that I may upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64 bit, but only saw OEM versions available on Newegg. I understand that it's the same software, but does that mean I can only activate it once? I'm concerned in case I upgrade a HD or other component in the future. It's kind of expensive to have to buy a bunch of times.

medchemistMA
08-19-2008, 01:23 PM
I can probably stick with XP 32 bit for most of my needs, but it seems a bit silly to have brand new 64 bit hardware, and still use a 32 bit OS.

I have a bit of a quandary in that I am a developer and I can't decide what OS I need at the moment. All of my customers (pharmaceutical companies) use 32 bit XP and have no plans of upgrading to vista. If they want 64 bit, it is Linux, BSD etc. They have just began to get comfortable with the security issues of XP and have no plans to open Pandora's box with vista. Some are still using Win 2000 because it doesn't ring out to the net all of the time. You have to keep things tighter that that when your next billion dollar drug is a 1K text file.

I saw something mentioned somewhere like , "buy vista and downgrade to XP." Is there a version of windows that could buy and install as 32 bit xp and then upgrade to 64 bit vista later on? It looks like I just might get stuck buying 4 versions of windows with a quad boot to have everything I may need in the next few years :confused:

MedchemistMA

zburns
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Khapheen. I loaded my new build with Vista 32 bit (OEM) in late May this year. I researched the "one time activatation issue" and concluded it was not a problem. Lots of people build their own rigs now; microsoft knows this, knows they buy OEM; they are not going to "mess" with you on the activation issue; they have a policy that addresses this.

I researched the OEM issue. I asked what size manual came with the retail version -- 160 pages long -- no bargain here; purchased OEM. Everyone on the forum that spoke said OEM at the time. Not seen one rec for retail!

My Vista installation went smooth. Before I completed the installation, Windows update took over and installed about 80 updates including SP-1. I really have not had anything that one would call a serious issue with the operation of Vista. There is a lot of "diagnostic" help within the software that is pretty neat. It is useful and fairly easy to use. Windows has over 10,000 drivers with the Windows digital signature; if it is not signed, the software tells you not to use it!

I describe my Vista experience as "flawless"; so do others on the forum. I really think Vista has had a lot of "bad press". So far I am totally sold on it!!

Khapheen
08-19-2008, 11:53 PM
zburns, thanks (yet again) for the great info. I'm probably a couple of weeks away from making the jump, but I appreciate the info and will report back on my findings when I do.

medchem, wish I could be of help here. Not sure if you'd have compatibility issues with your clients, but I know it's something to look out for. Most of my clients use Word 2003, and after upgrading to 2007 this month there have been some headaches. Don't know if this advice is useful, but maybe just find a copy of XP and use it until you need to upgrade? I've been doing that on my new PC for the past few weeks and there don't seem to be any problems.

That being said, would the OS cause compatibility problems? I'm sure there are some much more knowledgeable folks here who could weigh in.

zburns
08-20-2008, 09:05 AM
I tried to go back and find the informative article I read on OEM vs retail, but could not; instead found this one which says Microsoft draws the line at motherboard replacement, but allows all else, unless your mobo really fails, they will probably let you reactivate. If you are really concerned I would call microsoft and ask! It is a Jan 2007 article. Could not find a 2008 article.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html