PDA

View Full Version : help new computer

andy
08-14-2008, 11:16 PM
new 1st build -- asus m2n32 sli wireless dex; 4 g ram pc8500; evga 8800 gt; wd se 16 640 gig hard drive;
boots fine to windows xp prof. however unable to set up a new internet connection -- gives error that unable to find connection - using LAN port 1
I wonder if the LAN port is working (can still get to internet on old comp so not the external line) No router is used
What can I do to trouble shoot and fix prob

The Wise Monkey
08-15-2008, 06:10 AM
How do you connect to the internet then if you don't have a router?

zburns
08-16-2008, 08:38 AM
I have a new build several months old based on Rob's rec and this forum. Old computer also; one stand-alone modem (broadband) direct wired to the new computer, no router (rarely need or want to use the old computer).

If I switch to the old computer, I must disconnect the power to the modem and let it sit that way for about one minute; also, obviously, must connect a lan cable from modem to the old computer. Also, turn power off to both computers.

Following this process, my old computer then is recognized by the ISP and everything ok, ie "Google" shows up immediately on request! To go back to the new computer I reverse the process exactly the same.

(Explanation from my ISP for the above is that it all has something to do with the ISP having to recognize the individual computer; modem has memory and taking power off erases the memory! The monthly fee I pay Charter Cable, my Internet Service Provider, is for internet access to "one computer"; however, it does not have to be the same computer. But I cannot hook them up in parallel and run them at the same time; that would require my paying Charter for "two" broadband int service connections.)

Hope this helps!

treavorbell
08-17-2008, 04:46 PM
new 1st build -- asus m2n32 sli wireless dex; 4 g ram pc8500; evga 8800 gt; wd se 16 640 gig hard drive;
boots fine to windows xp prof. however unable to set up a new internet connection -- gives error that unable to find connection - using LAN port 1
I wonder if the LAN port is working (can still get to internet on old comp so not the external line) No router is used
What can I do to trouble shoot and fix prob

this may be a dumb question but did you install the drivers for the motherboard? When I built my computer I tried to get online 1st to download the latest drivers but did not realize that I needed to install drivers on the disk first....