PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Went Well--One Question

john150
08-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Upgraded from 8300GS to 8600GT in my new Dell Vostro 400. Followed all your directions. Everything went great. There is one thing I think I had to do that was not mentioned. After I deleted the old driver (from Add/Remove) and rebooted everything looked the same. It wasn't until I went to Device Manager and removed the 8300GS from there did the display change and the regular VGA adapter took over. I'm wondering if that was an essential step (removal in Device Manager) since it is not mentioned in the instructions. And if not why it seemed that way for me. Thanks. John

john150
08-15-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm wondering if this was a necessary step. Anyone?

RickyTick
08-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Try this procedure. The driver version is a little dated, but the procedure is correct.

Vista
1. Right click on Computer---->Properties
2. Click on Device Manager
3. Expand Dislpay Adapters
4. Right Mouse Button over the Video card Name
5. Select Uninstall, Click Delete the driver software for this Device
6. Do not reboot
7. Delete your Driver Vershion Folder Example 162.22 then empty recycle bin.
8. REBOOT
9. Restart in Safe mode, Use the F8 key while your rebooting to do so select Safe Mode.
10. Now run Driver Sweeper or Driver Cleaner Pro, "I personally use the Driver Sweeper that you just run no install"
11. Make sure you tell it to Remove your NVIDIA Display Drivers, once it is finished
Reboot. once Vista reboots it will just reinstall a genaric VGA adapter dont worry, at least its not the nvidia one.
12. Now Install the latest Video Drivers for your card from Nvidia.com

RickyTick
08-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, the driver should be the same for either the 8300GS and 8600GT.

john150
08-16-2008, 04:04 AM
Is there a difference between doing the removal through Device Manager and Add/Remove Programs? Also, I tried to use Driver Sweeper and when I clicked "Remove Nvidia Display Driver" I got a message something to the effect "unable to write .ini file" and could not proceed. So I went without it since I am staying within Nvidia. As I said in my OP I completed the upgrade successfully but I have these questions for future endeavors and general knowledge. Thanks.

john150
08-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Is there a difference between doing the removal through Device Manager and Add/Remove Programs? Also, I tried to use Driver Sweeper and when I clicked "Remove Nvidia Display Driver" I got a message something to the effect "unable to write .ini file" and could not proceed.
Can anyone shed some light on the above two questions? Thanks.

john150
08-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Is this thing on?

RickyTick
08-24-2008, 09:57 PM
I usually use Add/Remove to get rid of my old drivers. I don't think there is any real difference.

If Driver Sweeper doesn't seem to be working right, then try Driver Cleaner Pro.

This is a long Thread, but maybe it will help. http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=175074&mpage=1&key=&#175074

I don't know what else to tell you. Sorry.