PDA

View Full Version : Building from laptop

pruesdn
08-12-2008, 10:05 PM
The video card on my laptop has gone to the big motherboard in the sky, and I'm looking to build my own computer for the first time. I've done some research, but I'm still a bit fuzzy on this: can I repurpose some of my laptop's components for a new desktop build? It's an Asus A8Jm, which was on the upper end of laptops when I bought it two years ago. The problem I'm finding is that I don't know/can't find a lot of the specifications of the hardware, which makes it difficult for me to ensure compatibility, and I'm not familiar enough with the guts of the machine to identify things on sight.

Thanks in advance for helping a new builder.

RickyTick
08-13-2008, 06:03 AM
Sorry, but you will not be able to transfer components over from a laptop to a desktop.

The Wise Monkey
08-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Not entirely true Ricky - you can buy converters for the HD and optical drive, but you won't be able to use anything else, unfortunately.

Does your laptop have an integrated GFX card or is it separate? You might be able to buy a replacement.

RickyTick
08-13-2008, 09:54 AM
opps, I stand corrected. :o

Sorry

The Wise Monkey
08-13-2008, 10:59 AM
lol, it's not common knowledge, but I have to get data from laptop HDs occasionally, and it helps if you know about an adapter. :)

pruesdn
08-14-2008, 10:55 AM
The video card is an unusual sort of subject. I intentionally bought it based on the fact that the card wasn't integrated, but it seems the issue is not so simple. It's a dedicated card, but all the research I've done indicates that the hardware is only compatible with this particular video card, a nVidia Geforce Go 7600 (or at least the particular card series; reports vary). However, I've found it impossible to get my hands on a card that is: 1) over 2 years old, 2) part of a series designed exclusively for laptops, and 3) supported by my existing hardware. The trick seems to be that I bought from ASUS, an OEM, rather than a retailer.

On a related subject, your answers have spawned more questions. How much would one of these HD adapters cost me, and where could I find one? Also, if I manage to salvage my HD, can I also reuse my copy of Windows (an OEM licence, not a retail)?

Thanks for all your help!

The Wise Monkey
08-14-2008, 11:44 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119245

There you go. :)

As for Windows, you will probably need to run a repair on it, which will require the original OS disk. Do you have a copy?

pruesdn
08-14-2008, 01:24 PM
I do have the OS repair/recovery disks, which came in handy when I was reformatting. I'm hoping we're talking about the same things here.

Thanks for the link. I get the impression, though, that the adaptor is intended to be used as a short-term solution to move data from a laptop HDD to a desktop HDD. Is it unreasonable for me to expect that this device will allow me to keep using my laptop HDD as my main (or only) HDD?

The Wise Monkey
08-15-2008, 06:03 AM
Yeah, its not really designed for that kind of thing. Laptop drives aren't as hard wearing as normal HDs, plus they run slower.

To be honest, you are better buying a new HD and installing your OS on that, although it does mean you will have to buy a new copy.