PDA

View Full Version : Thank You SuperPC

Damlite
08-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Hey guys,

I aplogize for taking so long to formally post up a conclusion of the new complete computer purchase, I'll never get it done if I attempted to video it all.

The Old Computer
Pentium IV 2.2GHz Processor
40GB @6400rpm/512KB Cache Hard Drive
CD-ROM Drive
712MB @400Hz DDR RAM
64MB Intergrated Graphics Chipset
17" CRT Monitor
350W PSU

The New Computer
Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz Processor
640GB @7200rpm/16MB Cache Hard Drive
DVD Re-Writer Drive
2GB @800Hz DDR2 RAM
512MB 256bit Graphics Card
21.6" Widescreen LCD Monitor
750W PSU / Active Power Factor Correction

Central Processing Unit
Intel Core2Quad Q9450 2.66GHz
This yorkfield processor is running like a monster compared to my old computer. Its fast and can only get better; soon I'm planning to overclock it to 3.4 or 3.9GHz once I learn how to.

Motherboard
XFX 780i SLI
The motherboard for myself is working fantastic and is running very stable with the other components, especially the graphics card. Comes with 1333FSB, identically matching the Yorkfield processor, an efficient choice to purchase. A slight regret on purchasing this motherboard is that it takes DDR2 type RAM and only has a memory clock of 800hz, meaning that my Corsair ram is not being used to its full potential (speed 1066Hz). The overall purchase of this item is not one of my most wisest or long term accountable, but the special discounted price beyond RRP balanced its credibility.

Video Card
XFX 9800GTX xXx Edition
This card comes overclocked from the box, and offers my fantastic performance for buck. I only have a single one running, not taking advantage of the tri SLI motherboard, however at the moment everything I do graphically on this computer has been 110% smooth and jitterless. It runs fast and amazingly cool regarding the fact that it is stock overclocked by about 65Hz, which I will talk about in a moment.

Sound and Network Card
The XFX 780i SLi Motherboard comes inbuilt with the basics of these two components, such as the 9 channel high definition audio and the basic lan card. Although the motherboard did save me the need to purchase them, the onboard devices are admittly made only for the most basic situations, which surprises me seeing as the board itself is made for enthusiasts. I am tolerable with the devices for now, however there may be a need in future to replace the onboard devices with peripheral versions if I become fussy.

Memory
Coarsair XMS2 2x1GB RAM
The first impression when I opened the ram out of its package: gorgeous. It has a heatsink wrapped all around the stick and has a speed of 1066Hz. Although my computer is only registering 800Hz due to the limitations of the motherboard, it is still a noticable difference in the performance of the computer overall compared to the old one. The reason why I purchased less Ram than most people would recommend is due to the fact that I do not yet have a need for more than 2GB. Running tests at full load (photoshop,1 3D game,all explorers and IMs open), the computer was using 70% of its total memory, and generally uses 30%. An 8GB DDR2 capacity on the motherboard can certainly be used in future to invest more memory if needed to.

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar 640GB
The new hard drive is running fantastic. With a cache capacity of 16MB and speeds of up to 7200RPM, this item is definately one of my wise purchases, running fast, stable and quiet (I have never heard it (even seek) amongst the air flow of the fans that run at 16dBA). It was also ridiculously cheap.

Optical Drive
Pioneer DVDRW-215
Your standard re writable DVD drive for the modern computer.

Peripherals
Razer Lachesis and Lycosa, Logitech X-240, Samsung 2253LW Syncmaster
Peripheral devices I personally consider as the most important devices to a computer. The quality of the devices effect how we as users interact with the computer, and I strongly agree to the idea of optimizing the input of the user to improve the output of the computer itself. The Lachesis Mouse I am finding to be the most comfortable, accurate and attractive mouse I have ever used. 4000DPI basically says it all. The Lycosa Keyboard I was the most eager to look forward to using for its backlit keys, which took away the need for my desktop lamp and its overall appearance looks stunning. I also find the wristrest and keys very comfortable. The logitech X-240 speaker system I did not purchase with this system upgrade but I have kept it from my old computer and it is providing me excellent sound quality, making up for the onboard sound card that comes with the motherboard. I found the 2MS 21.6" LCD monitor a noticable difference in picture quality and smoothness, and I litterally felt my eyes relax themselves as soon as I went from the old CRT to this new one.

Case
Thermaltake Armor+ MX
Its quite large for a Mid tower case, but none the less has a very nice black "armor frame" finish and is one of the best cooling cases out of the mid tower range. The stock case came with the standard exhaust fan as well as two intake fans, a 120mm on the front and a 230mm on the side window with blue LEDs to emphasise its appearance.

Power Supply
Thermaltake ToughPower 750W
This power supply might seem to be quite strange to a lot of enthusiasts, being a sort of "in between" powersupply between standard gaming rigs and high end gaming monsters. The reason why I purchased this particular power supply is to give me room to upgrade my single graphics card to more graphics cards in future that will use more power and give me more overhead space to overclock my CPU,GPU and Ram without any problems. Based on this argument, I concluded that I will not be able to dual or tri SLI graphics cards with this powersupply, but I may be able to upgrade and it will leave a lot of room for my computer to be overclocked. The powersupply itself is basically invisible to me, has a supposed 87% effiency and also came with nice cable management. Seeing as the case also came with cable management, I found my overall rig to be a very clean internal finish.

Operating System
Windows XP 32-bit
I adore XP. While a lot of people would say its a waste to have a rig like this run xp, I find XP very stable for my own use and it runs ridiculously quickly. Without altering any bios setups or tweaking XP at all, my computer boots up in less than 30 seconds (from start to login, a further 3 seconds from login to account ready)

Evaluation
I've learnt far too much to say about computers over the past three months. My overall transition to this new computer has been very smooth in itself, disregarding the delays on collaborating all the parts together. But once I had all of them, I assembled and had the computer completely installed with the programs I needed in about 36 hours including sleep, food and one shower. Assembling it was a part that I was certainly worried about, I had 2 main hiccups during the assembly but considering it was my first installation of a computer I found it to be surprisingly easy. I thought it was going to be a process of installing all the parts together and then hooking them all up, and I found out that it was exactly that.

The overall computer serves my needs perfectly. Its fast, efficient and runs ridiculously cool, a big plus in itself. I never have to input any of my commands more than once, and the programs and games I use and play are smooth and as quick as they can possibly be. Add the 600GB larger hard drive, the better peripheral interaction and the attractive appearance into the package, there is litterally nothing more that I can wish for in a computer. I planned this build to serve my needs to perfection, and it has done exactly that. Its noticably louder than my previous computer, but I reduced the side window intake fan to 7V and its now very quiet for what it is. The main noise factor is the excellent air circulation in the case, but with regards to the actual components and fans themselves, I cannot hear them.

One note that i mentioned throughout this statement is that it runs cool. The system itself runs on average 22-23C (running at 24 right now as I am typing this), the overclocked GPU runs at 45-50C on 2D idle, and goes to a maximum of 55-60 under full load (it can get as low as 53C when im in a fullscreen 3D program). The CPU also runs at 40-45C during idle and load. From this we can basically conclude that the full air cooling system crunches all the way through regardless of what the computer is doing. I have yet to try it in the full blast of summer, but as far as I am concerned, what I am seeing on the nvidia monitor appears very attractive and healthy for the computer.

Credits
Thanks to:

MJ, Matty and Daniel <- My real life companions, that gave me a lot of insight on computers
Wise Monkey of Super Pc Build Forums <- The monkey who taught me everything about computers
The people of Super PC Build Forums <- The people who gave me a broader insight on the world of computing
Rodney Reynolds (3DGAMEMAN) <- The one who I based a lot of my purchases on
Logan (Freaking Logan) <- The one who familiarised me with video cards and motherboards, and made me spend more money

__________________________________________________ __
The Computer before I tweaked anything to make it run quieter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7F_Y8O-4Cg

After two months: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYHLnKBWXdE

RickyTick
08-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Great write-up and Youtube video. Now you're expected to be a frequent contributor here on the forums. You have a lot to offer other first timers.

Here's a thread I started a while back. It never got any traction, so maybe you could add to it. http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1551

The Wise Monkey
08-02-2008, 10:47 AM
That's the best summary we've every had. :D

Damlite
08-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Gladly, Thanks guys.

Despite the fact that my brain would've exploded if you asked me what a CPU was 3 months ago, I've really come to like computers and this might not be the last time i'll be asking for advice and insight in this forum.

I officially declare myself a Graduate of My Super PC, and will continue to collaborate and annoy you all.

:)

Damlite
09-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Updated now with new mods, I guess it could be the original video that was supposed to go up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYHLnKBWXdE

The Wise Monkey
09-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Love that apple style thing across the top - what is that?

Damlite
09-06-2008, 06:28 PM
http://www.stardock.com/
Great company, provides mods all to do with appearance through easy to use programs for windows OS's. Some of their program are trial freeware, but most you buy.

I'm using the trial freeware ObjectDock, LogonStudio and CusorFX.

The Wise Monkey
09-07-2008, 04:21 AM
Might have to try that out. :)

Good video btw.

Damlite
09-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks. The transformations and tweaks Stardock software can perform can turn windows into a completely different look and interactive system.