PDA

View Full Version : How much ram?

RickyTick
07-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Thought everyone might find THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1FikX8XWvs) interesting. I really like Rodney Reynolds.

The Wise Monkey
07-31-2008, 03:08 AM
Good video - really makes it clear to everyone the current status in terms of RAM.

It seems a bit presumptuous to say that everyone should be buying 4GB of DDR3 RAM now though, as although prices are falling, DDR3 is still way too expensive for most users.

RickyTick
07-31-2008, 06:10 AM
I agree that DDR3 is still not very practical. I assume he was referring to High-End users and gaming enthusiasts, idk. I watched a bunch of his question/answer videos and thought they were all very good.

Damlite
08-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Rodney Reynolds is awesome.

Although I'd have to disagree with his argument as it did seem to focus on enthusiast markets. I'd assume anyone should just get as much as needed at the fastest speed possible. I wouldnt see a point in getting memory that will never be used, e.g. my new rig never uses more then 1700MB at load (about 600MB idle), which led my purchase of 2GB memory, whether this is right or wrong, I'm not sure but I never encounter any memory problems.

RickyTick
08-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I've been watching Rodney for a couple of years now it seems.

Some of the really high end games (Crysis) might find a need for that much ram. I went with 4gb because it seemed like a good way to future-proof at a very minimal costs. I bought a 256mb stick a few years ago for $99, so when I saw a 4gb kit for less than that, I jumped on it. :)

Damlite
08-04-2008, 08:26 AM
4GB is always a great amount to get anyway since ram is becoming as cheap as hard drives these days. Speed though is an important factor to consider, so there's always that balance point where you get the best ratio of speed/memory per dollar spent.