PDA

View Full Version : No Power Connection For Exhaust Fan

marcopollo
07-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Greetings all,

I'm in the middle of building my PC and have purchased all of the components that are recommended by Rob. The only exception is that I went with the Sonata III 500 case. During the build process I noticed two differences of what Rob described and what I saw with this case.

First, I couldn't find the 3 or 4 pin power connection cable to plug into the motherboard coming from the power supply, as referenced here:

The power supply has an exhaust fan. Most power supplies need to have a power connection made for the exhaust fan to work...The connector may be a 3-pin connector, such as with the power supply I'm using, or a 4-pin connector. Often the 3-pin connector has blue wires, as it is with the power supply in the Antec Sonata II.

Did Antec fix this problem? Or did I miss something?

Second, I noticed an 'extra' 8 pin cable that appears not to connect to anything I can see on the motherboard. Again, did I miss something here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

pollo

blazer
07-26-2008, 11:10 AM
there is a 4 pin connector left of the cpu and a 24 pin connector. and a 6 pin for the graphics card. 8 pin is not needed.

marcopollo
07-26-2008, 02:14 PM
there is a 4 pin connector left of the cpu and a 24 pin connector. and a 6 pin for the graphics card. 8 pin is not needed.

If you look at the attached image:

http://www.9designs.com/images/mb.jpg

(http://www.9designs.com/images/mb.jpg)

In yellow:

3 pin connector from the CPU fan to the motherboard
24 pin connector from the power supply to the motherboard
4 pin connector from the power supply to the motherboard

In red:
These are the connectors that are indicated on the tutorial for the exhaust fan from the power supply to connect to, which THERE ISN'T a 3 or 4 pin cable coming from the power supply. So my questions still stands, was this eliminated with this updated box, so I shouldn't worry about it?

In purple:
This is the 8 pin connector that came with the video card that splits into (2) 4 pin power plugs. To be clear the video card doesn't plug into the motherboard for power, correct?

Have I missed something?

Thanks,

pollo

blazer
07-26-2008, 02:33 PM
the red ones are for chassis fans. ignore em. the 4 to 8 that came with the video card is not needed. there is a 4 pin from the power supply that can go there.