PDA

View Full Version : dual boot trouble

choba07
07-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Dual Boot Windows Vista Ultimate and Linux Ubuntu 8.05
Abit IP35
Intel Quad Core Q6600
EVGA 640-P2-N829-AR GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 4GB.
Hard Drive 1) SATA Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10000 RPM.
Hard Drive 2) IDE Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST380215A 80GB 7200 RPM

Here comes my first trouble with new system. I have windows vista on SATA drive which is C: drive. I tried installing ubuntu on IDE drive but it didn't work, so I went back to C: drive and reformatted IDE drive to get rid of ubuntu. (it went well) What my problem is that every time I turn the computer on it still asks me do I want to boot from linux or windows and the screen is frozen for 29 sec. it does not let me make a selection between two. After 29 sec it goes and boots the windows fine. I just want to get rid of dual boot window so I don't have to wait for this frozen window for 29 sec. to disappear every time I turn on the computer. I hope this makes sense. Thank you very much

bug
07-23-2008, 12:44 PM
The problem is that GRUB is still installed.

You'll need to boot with a Win98 boot disk and run the following command:
fdisk /mbr

You should be able to download one from http://www.bootdisk.com/ and/or http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263044

Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

The Wise Monkey
07-23-2008, 02:32 PM
You can also do it from an XP disk, if you have one. Just boot from the CD and go to the recovery console, and run the same command as bug said. :)

bug
07-23-2008, 04:35 PM
You can also do it from an XP disk

Really? Man, that'd save a lot of digging each time I image a machine and see the weird invalid boot sector error that happens as a result of Lenovo using a non-standard MBR size....

I've tried to do it from XP disks, but I've never been able to find it. Where is fdisk located?

choba07
07-23-2008, 07:34 PM
even though I run win vista?

bug
07-24-2008, 06:56 AM
It SHOULD work... but I'm not 100% positive. I would use something like System Rescue CD (http://www.sysresccd.org/) to copy anything that you want to save to another disk first. fdisk /mbr supposedly does not touch your data, but it never hurts to be careful with MS fdisk (other versions are not as destructive).

The Wise Monkey
07-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Both XP and Vista have a recovery console built in on their install disks - boot from the CD and it should allow you to press R on XP, and do something else on Vista that I can't remember... XD

choba07
07-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Thank you guys for your help. I found on google solution that doesn't delete the file but it gets rid of the dual boot menu. Here it is in case somebody needs it in the future.
You go to start, right click on my computer icon, go to properties then go to advanced. Under start up and recovery click settings. In there under default operating system choose the one you want then check off the option where it says time to display list of operating systems. You restart the computer and dual boot screen is gone.