PDA

View Full Version : my new superpc cpu runs HOT

blazer
07-21-2008, 01:23 PM
i built this using the components suggested on robs page. asus m2n32-sli, antec sonata III and the amd 6400+. the cpu idles at 50C and 4 minutes of prime 95 gets it to 70C and still climbing at which point i shut it down.
even with the side off the case and a desktop fan blowing on the cpu, it still runs too hot. is there a heatsink that would fit this system and do a better job than the zalman 9500 i have?

The Wise Monkey
07-21-2008, 03:25 PM
The Zalman fans occasionally have issues with warped contact plates - try cleaning off the thermal grease and re-installing the stock CPU fan.

blazer
07-21-2008, 04:56 PM
removed the zalman and installed the stock fan. idle temp is now 60c.
i noticed the zalman only had artic silver in the center and none on the outer edges. maybe i can lap the contact surface? or get a better heatsink if anyone knows of one.

zburns
07-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I assume your tri cool fan is running at max speed, 2000 rpm. Your zalman has a variable speed control, correct? It should be at max.

My system and yours similar, AMD 5600 CPU, otherwise the same I think. Your max temp, 55 to 63 centigrade, mine 55 to 70 (this is a suprise to me, I thought I would be lower).

I talked to Artic Silver when I installed the zalman. The said use a bb size of the compound and it would spread to the size of a "dime". They claim that is all that was needed. Did not buy that as being too cautious. I used about a "pea" size or about 3/16" diameter.

I had a problem setting the zalman down flat on the cpu; I wanted to engage the blob of compound "evenly" so it would spread evenly. Instead what happened was that I concentrated on the left to right dimension of the heat sink as I lowered it and found out too late that it was tilted forward somewhat. Did it twice this way, but felt like I caught the tilt before it was too late; left it alone. My temps ok however, I have not run the test you are running.

If the zalman heat sink plate is warped you should be able to see it I would think; again I go back to parallel lines, right angles, etc.. I am guessing but if the plate is twisted I would think you could see it. Others have more experience about how much of the heat sink area should be covered, but I would think a circle that comes close to the edges but say 1/8" gap to the edges.

I think you want to be careful and have no compound on the edges of the CPU; big no/no in my book; if the stuff has silver in it, it is conductive. Wise Monkey, jamie Nix or others who have multiple builds should know better than I. Good luck!! zburns

blazer
07-21-2008, 07:26 PM
all fans are on the highest setting. i lapped the base of the zalman. that took off the nickle plating down to the bare copper. reinstalled. temps are the same as before but much better than the stock unit. guess i'll live with the high temps or change cpu.

zburns
07-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Exactly, how did you take off the nickel plating? Do not understand your use of the word "lapped"? zburns.

blazer
07-21-2008, 08:08 PM
basically i sanded the base of the zalman until it was as perfectly flat as i could get it. it did have a couple high spots. in the process, the nickle plating was sanded off down to bare copper. performance does not seem to be better or worse.

zburns
07-21-2008, 08:30 PM
My temp with the 5600 right now is 47 deg C.

Sanding may be a problem; you would have to tell Zalman what you did and ask their opinion to be sure. If the temps stay the same over a two / three month period you may be alright but I would not bet on it; also, corrosion is possible depending on how the thermal compound affects the copper. Could also have a negative effect on the CPU heat transfer surface. There is no way to know w/o asking both Zalman and Artic Silver. I would think the sanding would create heat transfer problems.

The Zalman that goes with Intel is not plated, just copper but it is treated or coated with something, I'll bet. Once you sand the nickel off and have raw copper, you have the chemical reactions of air, of the thermal compound with the Zalman raw copper; then that combined effect with the CPU heat surface all of this fueled by high heat!! Your best bet is to ask Zalman and Artic Silver what will happen.

I am sorry to sound so negative but it is better to get past it than let it deveop into a ongoing problem. zburns.

RickyTick
07-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Blazer. Here is the best review of cpu coolers and installing Thermal compound. Give it a look.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=0

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=138&Itemid=1

Rob
07-22-2008, 06:33 AM
Great links! I've updated the "Useful Links" sticky to include these.

blazer
07-22-2008, 07:05 AM
turns out sanding the base of the zalman may have helped after all. my idle temp is still around 50 but 1/2 hour of prime 95 and it never went over 61.
i'll watch for corrosion. i also ordered a OCZ Vendetta 2 and a couple scythe
fans. i'll try them when they arrive

blazer
07-25-2008, 01:34 PM
i installed a scythe 110 cfm fan in the exhaust mount and moved the stock fan to the empty intake mount. idle is now 47 down from 50.
should have the vendetta monday.

blazer
07-28-2008, 11:26 AM
got the vendetta 2 today. idle temp dropped to 41. much better. might get even better once the artic silver breaks in completely. i think i'll stay with this setup.

RickyTick
07-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Hey blazer. How do you like that Vendetta II?

I just ordered one yesterday from Zipzoomfly for $39.99. I also has a $10 rebate, so I thought $29.99 was a deal I couldn't pass up.

blazer
07-30-2008, 01:02 AM
i like it fine. it does block access to one stick of ram but no big deal. i don't change ram often. one thing i find very interesting, i was having trouble with vista so today i went back to xp pro. my idle temp dropped to 29. vista must be a very busy OS

juniper1011
09-18-2008, 12:31 AM
I found the Zalman a little hard to figure out the air flow direction. But when I noticed my cpu running hotter than I wanted, I flipped it around so the fan blades were toward the front of the box instead of the rear.. The temp dropped nearly 15 degrees .... it is 45 degrees as we speak ---