PDA

View Full Version : Networking with a Sierra Aircard

Gatorman
07-19-2008, 08:16 PM
I do not have DSL available so have had to resort to using an AT&T Sierra Air Card to connect to the internet. I have been manually moving it from my desktop to my laptop but would like to be able to have both machines on-line at the same time for me and my wife. My questions is: "What do I need to do this?" I assume it would involve a wireless router but am unsure how this would be configured. The Sierra AirCard plugs into a USB port on my computers. Could it be plugged into a wireless router that is then connected via an Ethernet cable to the computer and the laptop then "picks up" the signal sent by the router much the same as when I am in a hotel?
The laptop is a SONY VAIO and the desktop is one I built using your website.
P.S. It was fun to build the computer using the clear instructions provided in your book that I purchased.

kagomeghe
08-04-2008, 01:29 AM
I do not have DSL available so have had to resort to using an AT&T Sierra Air Card to connect to the internet. I have been manually moving it from my desktop to my laptop but would like to be able to have both machines on-line at the same time for me and my wife. My questions is: "What do I need to do this?" I assume it would involve a wireless router but am unsure how this would be configured. The Sierra AirCard plugs into a USB port on my computers. Could it be plugged into a wireless router that is then connected via an Ethernet cable to the computer and the laptop then "picks up" the signal sent by the router much the same as when I am in a hotel?
The laptop is a SONY VAIO and the desktop is one I built using your website.
P.S. It was fun to build the computer using the clear instructions provided in your book that I purchased.

hello!

Most of the routers today support (and technically designed to work with dsl or cable connection). it is much advisable to have a router on the network so you can have both computers working at the same time. since you are only using an aircard which only allow one computer at a time to connect to the internet, i suggest you to better ask at&t if they can provide you a modem instead of this air card so you can install a router and set it up for your 2 computers. you can connect both computerr hardwired or wirelessly (if the router that you will purchase have a wireless capability) connected to your network just make sure that each adapter have wireless adapter installed

Gatorman
08-05-2008, 04:39 PM
hello!

Most of the routers today support (and technically designed to work with dsl or cable connection). it is much advisable to have a router on the network so you can have both computers working at the same time. since you are only using an aircard which only allow one computer at a time to connect to the internet, i suggest you to better ask at&t if they can provide you a modem instead of this air card so you can install a router and set it up for your 2 computers. you can connect both computerr hardwired or wirelessly (if the router that you will purchase have a wireless capability) connected to your network just make sure that each adapter have wireless adapter installed

The only modem available thru AT&T is a dialup modem. If I could get DSL, I with a modem, I would be OK but, unfortunately, that is not an option. As such, the Sierra Aircard is my modem and my only high speed option.
I have linked the 2 computers via a Linksys PCI card in each of the computers and have established an ad-hoc connection. However, I cannot access the internet with the laptop.
Any ideas?

Gatorman
08-17-2008, 01:07 PM
The only modem available thru AT&T is a dialup modem. If I could get DSL, I with a modem, I would be OK but, unfortunately, that is not an option. As such, the Sierra Aircard is my modem and my only high speed option.
I have linked the 2 computers via a Linksys PCI card in each of the computers and have established an ad-hoc connection. However, I cannot access the internet with the laptop.
Any ideas?

Anybody out there have any idea how to resolve my dilemma?

zburns
08-17-2008, 02:29 PM
I do not use a laptop, wireless or a router; I do have two computers, the one I built and my very old one. I switch the modem back and forth if I want to use the old one because I only pay for one internet connection.

This leads me to assume that one cannot use two computers, simultaneously, even with a router, even with one "aircard" if you are only paying or subscribe to one internet connection. You get one IP address per connection paid for as I see it!

I can certainly be wrong; someone else who definitely knows should comment!

Gatorman
08-20-2008, 12:19 PM
I do not use a laptop, wireless or a router; I do have two computers, the one I built and my very old one. I switch the modem back and forth if I want to use the old one because I only pay for one internet connection.

This leads me to assume that one cannot use two computers, simultaneously, even with a router, even with one "aircard" if you are only paying or subscribe to one internet connection. You get one IP address per connection paid for as I see it!

I can certainly be wrong; someone else who definitely knows should comment!

I have many friends who connect via DSL that have multiple computers linked wirelessly using a single DSL connection. However, their DSL connection is via an ethernet cable instead of an "aircard." I am beginning to suspect my problem lies with ISP addresses of the 2 PCI cards but am not certain. I will continue to research and post the answer if I find it. Thanks for your reply.

Gatorman
08-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I have many friends who connect via DSL that have multiple computers linked wirelessly using a single DSL connection. However, their DSL connection is via an ethernet cable instead of an "aircard." I am beginning to suspect my problem lies with ISP addresses of the 2 PCI cards but am not certain. I will continue to research and post the answer if I find it. Thanks for your reply.

P.S.
Sierra, the maker of the "aircard" as well as AT&T indicated such a link was possible. Of course, they recommended using their proprietary PCI cards, which are priced much, much higher than Linksys or any other hardware provider.

zburns
08-20-2008, 02:36 PM
I called Charter Cable, my ISP and asked if I purchased a wireless router if I could run two computers simultaneously. The person I talked too was not quite sure of what she was saying but I will tell you anyway.

I could purchase a router from them and they would charge me more per month than I presently pay, not 2 times more, just a percent more. I could use more than one computer simultaneously.

After that answer, I asked again what if I purchased my own wireless router, could I run 2 computers at the same time; the answer was yes. Never got into the IP address more than ask how often mine changed, ie. when I turned my computer on or off or what. The reply was that the IP address on my computer was "refreshed" every 24 hours. Here the part of the key is to know how the IP address interacts with each of your computers.

Obviously the ISP would like to charge per computer, so I imagine they will employ any device to help them do that. Probably you are correct that the IP addresses is the hang up. More later if I find out anything. Anyone else know???

zburns
08-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Spoke to my ISP twice since my last post. First, they say you can use a wireless router and two computers simultaneously even tho you have only one internet connection-- no extra charge. Next, my question was about the IP addresses; did each separate computer have its own IP address or did both computers have the same IP address. The answer from the ISP was that both computers have the same IP address. Not sure I believe that because I thought that each computer always had a distinctive IP address. Hope this is some help. Just seems that the problem must be in the IP address tho.

The Wise Monkey
08-22-2008, 03:28 AM
You can share an Internet Connection in Windows - open up your Network Connections, and there should be an icon for the connection supplied by the air card. Right click this connection, and there will be an option to share the connection among your network.

I would recommend using a router to distribute the connection to your laptop, but you could just use a crossover cable between the PC and the laptop.

Check out this Microsoft article on this subject:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

Gatorman
08-24-2008, 03:45 PM
You can share an Internet Connection in Windows - open up your Network Connections, and there should be an icon for the connection supplied by the air card. Right click this connection, and there will be an option to share the connection among your network.

I would recommend using a router to distribute the connection to your laptop, but you could just use a crossover cable between the PC and the laptop.

I found the icon for the aircard. When I right-clicked on it, one of the selections was "bridge connections" and when I click on it, a panel shows the following message "To create a Network Bridge, you must select at least two LAN or High-Speed Internet Connections that are not being used by Internet Connection Sharing."

Gatorman
08-24-2008, 03:45 PM

I found the icon for the aircard. When I right-clicked on it, one of the selections was "bridge connections" and when I click on it, a panel shows the following message "To create a Network Bridge, you must select at least two LAN or High-Speed Internet Connections that are not being used by Internet Connection Sharing." What do I do now?

The Wise Monkey
08-25-2008, 03:50 AM
That option is something different - a way of creating a network without a router. Since you only have two computers, it is kinda pointless.

If you open up Network Connections, there should be an option in the pane on the left to set up a home or small office network, which will bring up a wizard for sharing an internet connection between computers. Follow this through, and you should be able to use the connection on both laptop and desktop machines.

The only drawback with this is that your desktop machine has to be on in order for the internet connection to be shared.

Gatorman
08-25-2008, 06:07 PM
That option is something different - a way of creating a network without a router. Since you only have two computers, it is kinda pointless.

If you open up Network Connections, there should be an option in the pane on the left to set up a home or small office network, which will bring up a wizard for sharing an internet connection between computers. Follow this through, and you should be able to use the connection on both laptop and desktop machines.

The only drawback with this is that your desktop machine has to be on in order for the internet connection to be shared.

I followed your instructions and established the network as you directed. The wizards from both computers indicated the network was successfully established, both computers show a connection, the Sierra Aircard verifies a connection, the Linksys icon on both computers verifies a connection. The only problem is that I still cannot connect to the internet with the laptop with either browser that I use. By every measurable standard that I can see, it should work but it does not. Any suggestions?

The Wise Monkey
08-27-2008, 03:18 AM
What browser are you using?

Gatorman
08-27-2008, 02:30 PM
What browser are you using?

Primarily I use Firefox but have tried connecting also with Internet Explorer. Neither will work.

The Wise Monkey
08-28-2008, 05:30 AM
Ok, that eliminates one possible issue. :)

Can you share files between the two computers?

Check out this thread - I'm not sure if this person has the same aircard as you, but the responses should still be applicable:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7585_102-0.html?forumID=19&threadID=281219&messageID=2729692

Gatorman
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Ok, that eliminates one possible issue. :)

Can you share files between the two computers?

Check out this thread - I'm not sure if this person has the same aircard as you, but the responses should still be applicable:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7585_102-0.html?forumID=19&threadID=281219&messageID=2729692

I can't share files. I went s-l-o-w-l-y thru the XP network instructions trying to resolve the problem without success. The wizard says both devices are working properly but still no internet access.
I tried the other thread you mentioned and could not resolve problems either.
Am at a loss at this point. Would purchase a router to see if that would help but am not sure how an aircard would connect to it.
Am researching other help forums. Not sure where to go from here.
Any ideas?

The Wise Monkey
09-09-2008, 06:09 PM
If you open up My Network Places from one computer, can you see the other one?

One other thing - are you definitely using a crossover cable and not a standard Cat-5e patch cable?

Gatorman
09-19-2008, 06:42 PM
If you open up My Network Places from one computer, can you see the other one?

One other thing - are you definitely using a crossover cable and not a standard Cat-5e patch cable?

There is no crossover cable involved. It is all wireless.
In any event, during the time I have been laboring with these adapters, I have built another entire system which went without a hitch (well, maybe a smallish type hitch here and there but nothing I could not figure out). After finishing the build and still not having figured out Linksys adapters, I bit the bullet and called Linksys IT. After being disconnected 5 times and spending 3 hrs and 45 minutes on line with somebody in some third world country, I am not closer to solving the problems than when I started.
They cannot figure out what is going on and my call somehow got disconnected again. I can't connect to the internet nor can I even share files between the 2 computers although every connection indicator says I should be able to do so.
Is this common with Linksys?

The Wise Monkey
09-19-2008, 07:22 PM
No, it shouldn't be. Is your laptop getting an IP address, or have you assigned it one? Is File and Printer sharing enabled on both your PC and laptop?

Gatorman
09-19-2008, 08:23 PM
No, it shouldn't be. Is your laptop getting an IP address, or have you assigned it one? Is File and Printer sharing enabled on both your PC and laptop?

Yes, the laptop is getting an IP address. File and printer sharing is enabled on both.

The Wise Monkey
09-20-2008, 07:01 AM
How exactly does your laptop connect to your PC? Is it via a wireless router?

Gatorman
09-21-2008, 03:47 PM
How exactly does your laptop connect to your PC? Is it via a wireless router?

I can connect in 2 ways. There is an internal wireless card that will allow it to connect to the PC. I can also use this when connecting at hotels, restaurants, schools and other places where wireless internet access is available. It has always worked flawlessly at these sites. When I read the information from Linksys regarding the Ad-Hoc connection, it appeared that I would need their proprietary Wireless Notebook PC adapter to connect so I purchased one. The Linksys adapters are: for desktop WMP54G and for laptop WPC54GX4. Interestingly enough, I can establish a connection between the 2 computers either using the WPC54GX4 inserted in the laptop slot or allowing the laptop to use the internal card as I do at the previously referenced hotels, school, etc.
However, neither connection allows me to either share files or share an internet connection.

The Wise Monkey
09-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Hmm, I must say that I am stumped. Sorry I can't be of any help... :(

Gatorman
09-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Hmm, I must say that I am stumped. Sorry I can't be of any help... :(
I believe that I have arrived at a possible solution. A friend supplied a website that may solve the problem. Is seems that despite information from Linksys to the contrary, I will also need something called a 3G router or a similar device. In my long conversation with the Linksys Tech, where I explained the equipment I possessed, she never once mentioned such a device although Linksys apparently sells them.(However, noting Linksys support's lack of knowledge, I will probably buy from some other company that supports its products thru intelligent staff if such a company exists) This is precisely why I hate to talk to any 3rd world Tech. In any event, I will research the matter further and report back in case someone else encounters the same problems that I have been experiencing. I appreciate all the effort you have put forth to assist me. I will continue to build more systems and enjoy reading the forums to increase my education level.
Thanks again for all you help.

Gatorman
09-26-2008, 10:29 AM
I believe that I have arrived at a possible solution. A friend supplied a website that may solve the problem. Is seems that despite information from Linksys to the contrary, I will also need something called a 3G router or a similar device. In my long conversation with the Linksys Tech, where I explained the equipment I possessed, she never once mentioned such a device although Linksys apparently sells them.(However, noting Linksys support's lack of knowledge, I will probably buy from some other company that supports its products thru intelligent staff if such a company exists) This is precisely why I hate to talk to any 3rd world Tech. In any event, I will research the matter further and report back in case someone else encounters the same problems that I have been experiencing. I appreciate all the effort you have put forth to assist me. I will continue to build more systems and enjoy reading the forums to increase my education level.
Thanks again for all you help.
Finally, I have at last arrived at the solution. Linksys could have made it so much easier by simply saying "An Ad-Hoc connection is not possible when using XP or Vista with a Sierra 881U Aircard." Instead they wasted my time with gobbledygook and excuses.
The solution is: If you use an AT&T Sierra 881U USB Aircard, the ONLY networking tool that will allow you to connect to the internet and share files is a Cradlepoint MBR 1000 router. If anybody tells you anything else, do not believe it. The Cradlepoint is a bit pricy at $240 but it is the ONLY thing that will work so your options are quite narrow.
Hope this is of assistance to any who walked down the rather thorny path that I traversed.
Thanks to all on this board who tried to help. There is an incredible amount of great information shared here that can solve many, many problems and now it can solve one more.

The Wise Monkey
09-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Wow, that seems a shame - wonder why it isn't supported? Oh well, I'm glad you found a solution in the end. :)

Cirndle
11-15-2008, 02:56 AM
Hey, sorry to chime in so late. I could of saved you alot of research. Air cards are made in a different terms of communications, to where the standard 802.11 a/b/g/n communications do not function. Therefore, you need a specially expensive freaking router. When I was reading your post, it sounded like you were using one computer for a gateway to the internet, and the other was sharing it, but it also sounded like a lan.

Anyways,

On the IP address thing. I know these pretty well. They are numbers lol. j/k

Okay.
Your ISP assigns you a single IP Address for normal packages, unless you purchases static ips, anyways.

So say you have 3 computers, 2 desk, and one lappy. Using any kind of networking via router, gateway, etc. Your computer is sharing this one External IP address, so all your traffic that you send out is traced back to you by that one IP address, no matter what computer you use, or how many you have on your network. Why each computer shows a different ip, is because your router is using DHCP Direct Host Connection Protocol, (idk if I remember right on full name) and it assigns a range of ip addresses, usually starting at 192.168.1.100, so say 3 computers, so 3 DHCP users would be:
And your router would be similar, but like 1.1 or something that the last two octets would be totally different. ATT Internet connections calls come from a computer getting the router ip by accident.

In conjunction, you have a subnet mask usually default is:

This is different is you are running DMZ, VPN, etc. Advanced networking protocols, or have a different internal and external gateways.

here is a way to look at the most basic and essential information on a desktop or laptop:

Start> Run (in vista windows logo key + r) type cmd (for dos) enter.
now type in the black: ipconfig /all (there is a space between ipconfig and /all)
Hit enter.
Here is the relevant information you would need normally.

Also,

to see if your computer can access the outside world here is what you do:
Start> Run (in vista windows logo key + r) type cmd (for dos) enter.
Now type in the black: ping google.com hit enter (any website will do)
This will show if you have connection, will say pinging and give like a few lines, if it says 0% loss you are on your way to the internet.

If you have any problems, I know some about networking, and some about DD-WRT and flashing and configuring firmwares.