PDA

View Full Version : my gaming machine

mwolf
07-16-2008, 10:36 AM
this is my gaming rig, I have put it together by shopping around newegg and tigerdrirect, I was wondering if the people at this wonderful and helpful site could give me advice on where to buy for better prices or better parts at the same price or less.

antec 900 mid-tower case
EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
combo on newegg: $320

LITE-ON LH-20A1L-06
newegg: $37

XFX PVT98FYDBU GeForce 9800 GTX Black Edition 512MB
CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX
combo on newegg: $490

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
Corsair memory
combo on tigerdirect: $305

I haven't included rebate discounts in any parts, but it is about 90 dollars less. I already have a hard drive, so I would just want suggestions on how to either lower the price or get better stuff for the same price. I really want an SLI mobo like the one i picked out because it supports PCI express 2.0 and 3-way SLI, I like my graphics card because it is sweet and comes with a free call of duty 4, and the antec 900 is just sexy. my psu has 6 pins for maybe 3-way sli and 80 amps total for the 12v rails, so i know it can take at least 2 of my graphics cards. I really dont want a full tower, because I want a bit of portability, since I go to a lot of lan parties that my friends and i set up. The processor I really dont mind changing as long as I can still get 2 gigs of dual channel memory in 2 x 1 gig sticks and the processor is quad core and comes with G0 stepping. I also picked out a sound card that currently has a 50 dollar rebate on newegg, its the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series. I think all my stuff is great but I'm open to suggestions. the final cost without the sound card is around $1200, my budget is aiming from 1k to 1.3k not counting the OS and sound card. thanks for any feedback.

mr_wizard
07-16-2008, 11:29 AM
they all look good to me, you should consider getting a blu ray player since they are the future, even if they are 100 dollars. the proc/memory combo you have is iffy, I would get the 4 gigs instead of just the 2 for only about 20 more dollars. thanks for telling about that soundcard deal, I might just pick one up for myself lol. the antec 900 is an amazing case with, but you might consider the space requirements for your graphics card. A full tower case like the antec 1200 or the thermaltake armor+ would suit it better, but it would be less portable. the graphics card with call of duty 4 sounds good, a good game for free and an awesome overclocked graphics card. I would still get a 680i motherboard deal on tigerdirect since there was a 400 dollar combo with a q6600 and some ram which would fit your requirements, but it would not be as high quality as the ram coupled with your current processor, and also the 680i does not have pci express 2.0 busses so that would be another trade off. I would consider getting the exreme edition 9800 gtx from tigerdirect instead of your current card because it still comes with call of duty 4 and it is cheaper, albeit less overclocked.

overall, it looks good, but it seems a bit excessive.

RickyTick
07-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Thats a nice combo price on the 900 and 780i. You could save a few dollars buying the 750i motherboard for $190 at newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188026 and the 900 for $100 at mwave http://www.mwave.com/mwave/Skusearch.hmx?scriteria=BA23813

mwolf
07-18-2008, 01:59 AM
heh. I will probably go with ricky since the dead with my case and motherboard is gone, and i do not really need or want 3 way sli.