PDA

View Full Version : Gaming PC

Grunker
07-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi there!

I'm currently looking at new computers, as my old one can no longer play the newest games. When I upgrade, I want a pretty awesome computer, which is to say "very good," but without crashing all my accounts. The standard I'm looking for is a computer able to play such games as Mass Effect, The Witcher, Bioshock and similar stuff, at highest graphics, and I'd also like to be able to play games coming out the next year at high graphics. The computer should be able to survive and be able to play games for at least three years, maybe five if you count adding and changing components (but obviously, if it runs five, it won't have to do it at high graphics). My question is, if the computer I'm currently looking at will make me able to do this, and besides that, general comments about the specs on the computer. I understand a good deal technical talk, but I'm unable to discern the effects of, for example, the mainboard, just by looking at its name or looking it om at a hardware guide. The computer will not be used for making music or multimedia, just gaming and work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have done some research on Tom's Hardware Guide, but I'm a poor student, and I'd really like to know what I'm buying is worth the cash before I make a final purchase.

Since I'm asking you to help me, I thought it might be a courtesy to add my thoughts on each component, so you can determine what I'm looking after, but feel free to ignore them and just comment on the components as you see fit.

Again, thanks for any help you might offer.

The computer I'm currently thinking about buying:

CPU: Intel Core 2Quad Q9450 2.6GHz 12mb S-775

I'm unsure whether to purchase this or to buy the 2.8GHz version. The price is significantly higher though, so if the benefit is fairly small, I'd much rather purchase the 2.6GHz one.

Mainboard: ASUS P5N-D nForce 750i SLI S-775

Now, as I understand it, the mainboard is the basis of alot of other stuff. In comparison to the rest of my components, will this mainboard suffice?

RAM: 4GB DDR2 PC8500 1066MHz Corsair Twin (2x2GB)

This seems sufficient, from what I know.

Graphics Card: 512MB GeForce 8800GT DDR3 PCI-E

Now, as I understand it, the RAM on the graphics card ain't what's important anymore, but that's the only way I know how to judge a Graphics Card. I did some research at Tom's Hardware Guide, and it had some good things to say about this card.

Sound Card: Creative SB XtremeGamer Fatality Pro:

This step is VERY important for me. I love good sound, and I'm using a Dolby Surround 5.1 system. I know the cheaper Creative X-FI Xtreme Music might do well enough for me, but I'm not sure. If I wouldn't be able to tell a difference of course, I'd rather go with the cheap one.

Harddisk: 250GB Samsung 7200rpm SATA2

Space isn't that important for me, I'm not in the habit of downloading TONS of stuff from the internet.

Cabinet Cooling: 80mm Arctic Cooling AF8025 PWM 12dB-21dB

Don't know how important Cabinet Cooling is today. Last time I bought a computer, Graphics Cards didn't even have fans. It's not that expensive though.

PSU-upgrade: Inter-Tech SL-500 120mm

Don't know that much about PSUs.

CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Alpine 7 S-775

Again, don't know much about cooling systems.

DVD: 48x16x Lite-On DVD

Good enough, I guess.

DVD-burner: 20x Lite-On DVD/RW DL Light Scribe

I honestly don't know whether this'll be able to write CDs also. Will it?

I'm going to run with Windows XP as operating system.

Thanks in advance, Casper.

NB: If I left something out, or if you'll need further information if you are to help me, just say so :)

RickyTick
07-07-2008, 09:14 PM
That's terrific ram, but its not for that motherboard. That Asus P5ND supports DDR2 800, and you've picked DDR2 1066. But don't back up on the ram, instead change the motherboard to the EVGA 750i FTW. Its a better option. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188026

Instead of the 8800GT 512mb video card, take a look at the 8800GTS 512mb. Much faster, runs cooler and quieter. Depending on you budget, there are much better video cards that offer more futureproofing for your system. The 8800 series cards are already two generations old. You can't overlook the ATI Radeon 4850. The price and reviews are awesome. If you're set on Nvidia then shop around for a GTX260. The prices just dropped today, but they're still a little pricey. Also look at the 9800GTX which is much better than the 8800 series.

For a power supply, the Corsair HX 520 or 620 are unbeatable.

If you're getting 4gb of ram, why waste on Windows XP. There's no reason not to go ahead with Vista Home Premium 64 bit so you can utilize all 4gb. I game regularly with Vista 64 bit and have no problems. I know there is a speed difference while gaming between XP and Vista, but its so slight, you'll not be able to notice it. FWIW, I'm sold on Vista.

Grunker
07-08-2008, 01:54 AM
That's terrific ram, but its not for that motherboard. That Asus P5ND supports DDR2 800, and you've picked DDR2 1066. But don't back up on the ram, instead change the motherboard to the EVGA 750i FTW. Its a better option. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188026

I'm going to go with this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131317

was recommended elsewhere :)

Instead of the 8800GT 512mb video card, take a look at the 8800GTS 512mb. Much faster, runs cooler and quieter. Depending on you budget, there are much better video cards that offer more futureproofing for your system. The 8800 series cards are already two generations old. You can't overlook the ATI Radeon 4850. The price and reviews are awesome. If you're set on Nvidia then shop around for a GTX260. The prices just dropped today, but they're still a little pricey. Also look at the 9800GTX which is much better than the 8800 series.

Yeah, other people suggested 4850 also, but I can actually afford 4870 :)

For a power supply, the Corsair HX 520 or 620 are unbeatable

I'll check it out.

If you're getting 4gb of ram, why waste on Windows XP. There's no reason not to go ahead with Vista Home Premium 64 bit so you can utilize all 4gb. I game regularly with Vista 64 bit and have no problems. I know there is a speed difference while gaming between XP and Vista, but its so slight, you'll not be able to notice it. FWIW, I'm sold on Vista.

I'm kindda split here, since half of everyone tells me to go Vista, and the other half tells me to keep XP.

Thanks a bunch!

RickyTick
07-08-2008, 10:39 AM
That motherboard take you to an all new level. The X48 can support a higher speed ram that you might consider.

The 4870 is definately a better video card, but they are a little hard to find right now. Check around.

You might find this helpful for a power supply.
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/13271

I think you're on your way to a great gaming system.

Grunker
07-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks!

I live in Denmark, and we're full of the 4870, so it'll be alright :)

RickyTick
07-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Great. Glad I could help.