PDA

View Full Version : Win Xp 64 to Vista Ultimate 64 Upgrade

ronniebee
07-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Hi Guys
I built my Super PC with help from you awhile back; now I want to upgrade from Win XP 64 to Win Vista Ultimate, using the upgrade from Newegg.
I found the following review at New Egg, the only difference is I will be upgrading from the 64 version of Win XP which says it also requires a clean install. I'm wondering if mine will work like the review below. Any Thoughts?
Ronnie Bee
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Pros: THe documentation and online help was very confusing for installing the 64-bit version of the OS. This was an upgrade from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Ultimate. The setup program will not launch from within XP and the machine must be booted cleanly from the DVD. The docs implied I could no get a license via the upgrade via boot from DVD, but the installation saw the old OS and preserved the file system (NTFS). All old data files were retained.

Cons: Always a hassle to re-install old apps, but saw no major compatibility issues.

Other Thoughts: Finally see a true 4GB of memory for my larger tasks in Adobe.

ronniebee
07-06-2008, 01:31 AM
Well, Since I needed a backup drive for my Sata Raid anyway, I decided to just buy an external backup WD Hard drive from Newegg at 99.95 sale price.
That way I can safely transfer all my files and settings to the backup just in case something goes wrong.