PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP home

choba07
06-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I had a quick question if you guys don't mind.
When you purchase Windows XP Home Edition disk why it doesn't have any of the software on it like Microsoft Works, real player and etc?

zburns
06-25-2008, 01:11 PM
XP is your OS (Operating System) software and Microsoft Works is Application software. For a simple but accurate explanation, go to Webopedia.com and plug in Operating System and separately, Applications. You will find easy to understand definitions and some block diagrams. As an alternative, Google, 'operating system' and separately 'applications'. zburns

choba07
06-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Thank you zburns. I understand the difference between OS and aplications. Maybe I didn't ask the question correctly, so you miss understood it. I apologize. What I meant is when you buy computer in the store it comes with all of those applications already installed on the OS, but when you buy OS separately it doesn't. My question was why is that? Thank you once again.

RickyTick
06-25-2008, 02:42 PM
If you configure a pc like a Dell, then they provide several software options like MS Works, Office, Norton Anti-virus, Corel, and many others. Depending on the software you pick, the price of the configuration changes accordingly, and they make a profit on it as well. Its almost like an impulse item at the checkout counter of the grocery store. Also, when Dell (or HP, or any other) buys Windows XP or Vista from Microsoft, they get just that. They have to purchase MS Works, Office, Norton, et al seperately just like me and you.

Personally, I think this is part of the beauty of building your own system. You load the software that YOU want, not what Dell or HP wants you to have.

Does that help some?

choba07
06-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Excellent that was the answer that I was looking for. It helped a lot. Thank you very much.

RickyTick
06-25-2008, 08:07 PM
all of those applications already installed on the OS, but when you buy OS separately it doesn't.

Just to clarify, those apps are installed with the OS, not on it.