PDA

View Full Version : Wise Monkey's component recommendations

bug
06-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Are the parts "guaranteed" (not in a legally binding way, of course) to work together, assuming that Intel processors are paired with the correct socket type motherboard and possibly fan?

The reason why I ask is that the memory models are not necessarily on the qualified vendor list for the motherboards.

The CPU HSF and video card could potentially be too big for a particular case, as well.

Which should we believe more:the QVL or the RAM maker's configuration wizard?

RickyTick
06-25-2008, 12:16 PM
The cases that are listed will hold the video card and stock HSF's that are listed. If you are interested in a different case, then its easy to determine what size gpu or cpu/hsf it can handle.

Obviously you'll have to pair the AMD processor with an AMD motherboard, and also Intel with Intel. Otherwise they are compatible with each other.

The ram listed is the standard DDR2 ram that corresponds to those motherboards. If you're unsure or uncomfortable with those choices, then go with what the mobo manufacturer suggests.

bug
06-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Ah.. Thanks, that should make things more clear for myself and anyone else.

Am I correct in assuming that memory with the correct voltage and speed "should" (being used in the computer tech way -- as in "more than likely, but you never know") work with a motherboard?

RickyTick
06-25-2008, 02:19 PM
The items used in the build recommendations were sort of the Forum's consensus "favorites". For example, everytime someone asked for a power supply recommendation, we were always suggesting the same one (HX520). So the "Build Recommendations" are simply a compilation of the Forum members favorite and most trusted components.

And to answer your question, if the mobo recommends DDR2 6400 ram, than any brand meeting those specs should work just fine, although there are times when voltage changes are needed in the BIOS.

bug
06-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks! Gigabyte's QVL only had certain models of RAM from some of the top manufacturers, so I figured that someone here would know. I'll look for something that fits the specifications from one of the brands on the list. I'll also use Corsair's (or Crucial's) memory configurator to be safe.

It may be a good idea to put a disclaimer/explanation at the top of each component list to let the readers know that they're the "preferred parts" and should work together, given basic matches like AMD processor + AM2 motherboard or Intel processor + Socket 775 motherboard.

I believe that my build will look like this:
Antec Sonata III case+ps (but if I have enough money, I'll get the Corsair 520HX)
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
Intel C2D E8400
Zalman 9500 + Arctic Silver 5 (but if the 9700 is on sale for the same price... should I get that instead?)
4x 1GB Corsair (or Crucial) 6400 memory (or 2x 2GB, depending on what people say)
eVGA 8800GT 512MB PCI-E

That should cover it.... Already have drives, monitor, keyboard, and mouse... Although I would like to replace some old Seagate PATA drives.

RickyTick
06-26-2008, 12:55 PM
If you want 4gb of ram and have 4 DIMM slots, use 2 sticks of 2 gb each. It offers a better upgrade path later on, and generally performs better and is less problematic.

bug
06-26-2008, 01:35 PM
... and generally performs better and is less problematic.

Wow, that surprises me. I assumed that spreading the memory out over more slots would allow more addresses to be accessed at once. Guess not!

I will go with the 2x 2GB. I believe that my upgrade path will be to DDR3 once the type becomes affordable and otherwise realistic. I think that I would be limited to 4 GB of that, though. I could go as high as 8 GB with DDR2 if I installed Arch 64 instead of regular Arch Linux... but I don't really see a reason to go higher.

The motherboard seems to like 1.8v memory. If the sticks have a different voltage, will I be unable to boot to get to the BIOS to change or does it not care if it's (undervolted?)?

Thanks again for your help

RickyTick
06-26-2008, 07:01 PM
I assumed that spreading the memory out over more slots would allow more addresses to be accessed at once. Guess not!

The motherboard seems to like 1.8v memory. If the sticks have a different voltage, will I be unable to boot to get to the BIOS to change or does it not care if it's (undervolted?)?

Thanks again for your help

Having a stick of ram in each DIMM slot is thought to put more stress on the Northbridge than only 2 sticks, but I can't back that up with technical data, its just what I'm told.

You should still be able to get into the BIOS to make the volt change if needed.

bug
06-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Having a stick of ram in each DIMM slot is thought to put more stress on the Northbridge than only 2 sticks, but I can't back that up with technical data, its just what I'm told.

That makes sense to me. It would likely take more power to read from/write to four separate electrical circuits than to just two, even though it may take more power for the bigger sticks.

Maybe it's something like this:
2GB stick=1.5 units of power
1GB stick=1 unit of power

1GB*4=4 units of power
2GB*2=3 units of power

That's probably extremely wrong, but it at least makes sense :D

I'm only going to run Arch 32 for now, but it would be cheaper in the long run to add more memory than it would be to have to replace what I have. Plus, I think that 1 GB sticks are only a little bit cheaper than 2 GB sticks right now.