PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys--Help?

bootsy72
06-25-2008, 07:33 AM
How is everyone doing?

I appreciate all the help you guys gave me with my last problem... when files were getting corrupted and what not. Turns out it was not my antivirus causing the problem... (I posted everything but just went and checked and it wasn't there?!--sorry you guys didn't get the details.. I'll explain here again real quick). I shut down the computer to mess around on the insides for one reason or another, plugged everything back in, hit the power button, and nothing... nothing.. so I went to the store and bought a new PSU.. and bam, problem solved (now I have a 650W BFG).

At least the problem was solved for about a week.. then I started having problems again.. files getting corrupted.. I went into the BIOS, increased the volts to my RAM (after running memtest and getting loads of errors).. I ran memtest again.. no errors.. everything was fine.. for a few days... then errors again.. memtest errors again.. turn it off.. mess around a bit.. turn it on.. wha la.. everything is fine.. for a few days...

Yesterday I ran memtest on each stick by itself (and each one checked out.. like they had before). Then I ran memtest on both together overnight and there were no errors. Right now, there are no errors... but I'm concerned, in a couple of days.. if I have problems again, what might that be the result of?

I have 2x 1g Crucial Ballistix 6400 4-4-4-12 2.2v

I actually have it set at 5-5-5-18 because I could not get it stable at 4-4-4-12. My voltage is about 2.0.

So here's all the specs in case this helps:
Antec Sonata III (the original PSU is dead)
BFG 650W
GA-P35-DS3L
E8400 Wolfdale
Crucial Ballistix PC6400 RAM
XFX 8800GTS (oc) 512mg
WDC 320 Gigs
Lite-On

In my BIOS, the settings are
3 ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)
3 Rank Write to READ Delay
6 Write to Precharge Delay
52 Refresh to ACT Delay
3 Read to Precharge Delay
7 Static tRead Value
29 Static tRead Phase Adjust

I will restart and find out exactly what each of those numbers corresponds to.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for being the awesomest forum on the web.
(I freaked out when I got that Vdeck junk)

P.S. - I shut down and turned the PC back on to get those BIOS settings.. when Windows started up I got a window "Windows XP recovered from a serious error" --I sent the error report, and it said I got a stop error and it has something to do with drivers. I have all my drivers up to date and under the hardware screen in control panel there are no exclamations. What might be causing this? I'm pretty sure it is not the video card just because this is the same kind of error I was getting with either the XFX card, MSI card, or my old 7300 LE card.

More thoughts?

bootsy72
06-25-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm tempted to flash the BIOS. I have version f7 and have seen people say that f8a or f8f work fine... do you think this could fix the problem?

Should I just can the two stix of RAM that I have and get two different stix? They'll have errors right away and then they won't have any for over 21 passes...

bootsy72
06-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Ok guys, I flashed the BIOS from F7 to F8a which is a beta version but supposedly makes this MB work with the e8400.. hopefully that will do the trick. I'd still love to hear your thoughts.

The Wise Monkey
06-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Why not increase the voltage to 2.2V?

bootsy72
06-25-2008, 03:18 PM
I still received errors when I had it that high.. and others said that 2.2 burnt their sticks up. I was trying to run it lower.. it was specified 2.2 for 4-4-4-12.. I figured at 5-5-5-18 I shouldn't need that much juice?