PDA

View Full Version : USB External Hard Drive disappeared

Damlite
06-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Hey fellas,

I own a WD 160GB passport and I've had it for an odd 2 years now. Last night however, it abruptly "dissappeared" in my explorer, it was last labelled the J: drive (though that was only recent, long before that it was known as H: ). I can no longer place files in it, extract files from it, or do anything associated with it.

When I plug it in, I can still hear the disk spinning and my computer bleeps to acknowledge a usb device was connected, but all that the computer recognises it as is a "USB Mass Storage Device" with no drive allocated to it. I also checked the disk management area in an attempt to rename the drive but all that is detected is:

Volume: [empty]
Layout: Partition
Type: Basic
File System: [empty]
Capacity: 149.05 GB
Free Space: 149.05 GB
% Free: 100%
Fault Tolerance: No
Overhead: 0%

The only option drive management gives me is to Delete the partition on the drive. It previously contained 99% of all the files I used (which used about 50% of the drive), and I only have portions of the regularly accessed documents backed up on my other drives.

I've checked other websites and google for any answers, all solutions have failed, are not quite similar to my situation, or are leading me to format the drive. Anyone able to tell me what precisely is going on?