PDA

View Full Version : vertically mounted drives

bug
06-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Is it really "safe" to mount hard drives vertically? There seem to be more and more cases with vertical 3.5 bays.

I really like the Antec P182, but I'm afraid that gravity will slowly kill 7200 RPM (or faster) drives if they're mounted vertically.

If it's not fully safe, are there any really good cases with at least 4 internal 3.5 bays that are horizontal? I like the Sonata III, but I've seen a lot of complaints about improper grounding on the front ports (and the door in general).

Thanks!

zburns
06-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I recently finished my first build; used a Sonata III case. I am a manufacturer; as such, I appreciate good design, workmanship and quality manufacturing. The Antec Sonata III case is a great example of high quality design and manufacturing. That said, I cannot attest to any grounding problems on the front connectors; have not looked at the construction to see about "access to look"!!

When you mention "problem with grounding" you open a can of worms in such a discussion -- meaning the discussion gets long with many connections particularly when electrical safety is mentioned.

The front panel is plastic and cannot be grounded; the metal keyhole latch engages a plastic cam which does the locking within a plastic molded area, hence, no grounding there either. Without asking Antec, I assume the plastic door front and "plastic" latch is "all plastic" for design and "operator safety reasons". The plastic door is molded as is the front bottom panel; the esthetic design requires that the case front parts be molded. The bezel with connectors is metal and should be grounded.

All of the above said, if there is an electrical defect within the computer and the grounding thru the power cord has failed for whatever reason, the front panel being plastic is relatively safe, but the rest of the metal case is "unequivocally unsafe to touch or (much worse) grab hold of in such a manner that you cannot let go". There is a risk of electrical shock, severe electrical shock or even, electrocution as there would be with any electrical device under the conditions of a "failed ground connection" existing at the same time as an internal electrical defect.

On most electrical devices (particularly for the home), the places "touched" or "grabbed to open" are made from some insulating material.

With regard to mounting the hard drives in a vertical orientation, I suggest you ask Western Digital if vertical mounting is detrimental to HD useful life. If WD offers drives for vertical mounting, they will have lots of data on relative useful life of the drive in vertical mode vs horizontal mode. It seems that vertical would be a problem, but the manufacturer will know!! zburns.

RickyTick
06-22-2008, 01:04 PM
I like the Sonata III, but I've seen a lot of complaints about improper grounding on the front ports (and the door in general).

This reminded me of a post I had seen a while back.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248527-31-grounding-problem-antec-sonata-confirmed-cust-support

zburns
06-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Ricky: Your link is not good news. The Tom's Hdw link is valid concern. I have the case but have had only several minor problems overall, otherwise a flawless experience. The problem seems related to static discharge to the connector plate with the plate not grounded. I will take a serious look at mine sometime today and add a post tonight. I am suprised. Antec spent a lot of money "tooling up" to make this case; a lot of the design is really clever. z burns

RickyTick
06-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Hopefully its a very isolated incident. If you're not experiencing any problems, I doubt you ever will. Let's hope so, at least.

bug
06-24-2008, 01:59 PM
I've read elsewhere (and in the TH.com link above) that the case front may have been replaced with a better version without the shocking problem. Anyone with a Sonata III care to support or dispute that claim?

Getting back to the original question, I found this link that supports what I've heard about mounting drives vertically:

Tribune India (from 2001, so it's definitely old...)
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2001/20010507/login/main2.htm

zburns
06-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Regarding Antec case front. I have talked to Antec customer support twice. They say that some users have had a problem. My understanding is that they have a parts fix they will send out and they say this does resolve the problem, (ie insures grounding of the chrome connector plate).

I have not experienced a problem with reset as others have; however my front plastic "chrome" connector panel is not grounded to the metal frame of the case when using a dc continuity meter; that is a concern to me, long term. I have ordered the parts fix and will post my comments after getting it installed.

I am hesitant right now to say any more. The Antec Sonata III case is well designed and very well manufactured. If I were building a second computer right now, I would not hesitate to buy the case. The problem seems strange right now but I am sure there will be an accurate description of the problem sometime soon. zburns

bighoo93
06-24-2008, 10:56 PM
I've had the Antec Sonata III case for a few months now and have never had the static discharge problem. I love the case and would recommend it highly.

bug
06-30-2008, 11:42 AM
According to a cdfreaks.com post (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/vertically-oriented-external-hard-drive-pluses-minuses-72256/), it doesn't matter whether the drives are mounted at 0 or 90 degrees.