PDA

View Full Version : 10,000RPM HDDs

athlonfan
04-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Is the enhanced performance worth the extra cost of 10,000RPM Hard drives?

Rob
04-13-2007, 07:58 AM
From what I understand, no. There are also noise, heat and vibration issues to consider with a faster spinning hard drive.

koganinja
08-27-2007, 01:51 PM
A yes if you have 2 in raid 0
B no if you want a quite rig
C put them in a silent cooler heat pip hard drive cage this shuts them up and still gets rid of the heat

two 76 raptores does the job and have a third hard drive for photos and download and use the raid for os and games

DemonicDerek
08-28-2007, 01:17 AM
10,000 RPM Drives are actually worth the extra cost in my opinion, here's why:

1. MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) is higher than normal drives, alot of people may say I am talking crazy since the drive is faster than normal drives, but the reason behind the higher MTBF (which means it is more reliable, and less likely to fail) is due to the fact that when you make a faster hard drive you need to buy better mechanical parts and this sometimes is a big step up from what normal drives us. I honestly want a SCSI Controller to use 15,000 RPM drives, but those are priced a little more steeply than 10,000 RPM.

2. They are faster than normal drives so they have shorter read/write times, and if you raid 0 them this creates an even larger advantage of speed.

3. Bragging rights, now honestly who can't live without being able to say "My hard drives are faster than yours!", well you could be being able to is just more fun.

4.Yes they may run louder, and more heat is generated, but raptor's will generally have fins on the hard drive case, or so I think, and so if you have a fan running on your hard drive cage then it will help substantially.

The Wise Monkey
08-28-2007, 07:04 PM
We have 8 raptors running in raid 1+0 on of our servers, and it makes a huge difference.

Been thinking about getting one of these new SSDs (solid state drives), but they are still ridiculously expensive.