PDA

View Full Version : Is 780G good enough?

gtrasi
06-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I knw Intel core2 rocks..but in terms of affordibility and onboard graphics, thers no match for 780G chipset.

let me knw whch mobo to go for in that chipset, my fav i asus, but if u guys knw of a particular mobo with fantstic reviews plz share...

Also iam looking to buy zalman CPS9500 cooler and i alredy hav 8800GT video card whch i hope will run with no issues on amd chipset once the onboard video is disabled...

ur thghts???

The Wise Monkey
06-15-2008, 05:01 AM
This Gigabyte board is pretty good, won a customer choice award on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128090

Just out of interest, why are you going for onboard graphics if you already have a GFX card?

Also, we only suggest C2D because they perform better than the equivalently priced AMD alternatives, especially at the top end of the performance spectrum. However, AMD are still the kings of the low-mid range CPUs, and are a very good choice if you are on a tight budget.

gtrasi
06-17-2008, 01:18 AM
the reason for choosing onboard graphics is to reduce the usage of video card.
i would like to use it only when gaming and will switch to onboard graphics for everthng else.

And eventually whn my video card goes kaput...atleast i hav onboard video to use my PC!

RickyTick
06-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's such a great idea.

Using onboard graphics for everything, and switching to a dedicated video card just for gaming would require going in Device Manager each time and changing Enable/Disable for the video device. Seems like a lot of trouble.

Furthermore, most video cards have at least a 5 yr warranty. Just register the card, and if it goes "kaput", simply get it replaced. After 5 years, your system will be near EOL anyway.

The Wise Monkey
06-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Ricky is right, but it is more complicated than that. In order to prevent your GFX card from being accessed at all, you would need to remove it from your PC. As long as it is plugged in, it will still get power.

If you want to save wear and tear on your GFX card, use something like nVidia's nTune to turn down the graphics power when you are not playing games, then load your gaming profile when you about to play. This will save you some power, but not that much really. The technology is good enough these days such that you will be very unlucky if your card doesn't last 8-9 years.

gtrasi
06-29-2008, 03:15 AM
Well, what about 750a/780a sli mobos?

Hmmm...how long will Rob stick with 590 chipset?