PDA

View Full Version : confused about wifi in motherboard

alstein
06-04-2008, 04:19 PM
I am in the process of gathering information regarding components needed to build a PC and am a bit confused about why wifi as a motherboard feature is a benefit. the ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP ATX LGA775 P35 advertises wifi. I currently have a Linksys wireless G router and a modem connected to my desktop. In addition to being connected to my PC the router is also connected to a hub which then connects to other devices such as a Sony PS3, a Logitech Squeezebox, and my Denon receiver. I use the wireless features when I log onto the internet with my laptop pc. Is there any benefit to the motherboards wireless capabilities for my setup, or would I operate my router and modem the way I do now.
Thanks.

RickyTick
06-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Then get this one instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131225

Sounds like you don't really need the motherboard with the integrated wifi.

alstein
06-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Then get this one instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131225

Sounds like you don't really need the motherboard with the integrated wifi.

The motherboard you suggest looks interesting. However the newegg site does not show any external audio ports on this board. I assume this must be an error. I noticed another post referencing negative comments made about Asus by Gigabyte. WAre you comfortable with Asus quality?
Thanks.

The Wise Monkey
06-05-2008, 03:52 AM
Uh, it does show external audio ports - slightly to the left of the bottom middle of the board, there are 8 of them. XD

I used to be a big fan of ASUS, but they seem to have dropped the ball lately. Lots of people on the forums have had compatability issues with the motherboard BIOS and the latest 45nm Intel CPUs.

alstein
06-05-2008, 06:18 AM
Uh, it does show external audio ports - slightly to the left of the bottom middle of the board, there are 8 of them. XD

I used to be a big fan of ASUS, but they seem to have dropped the ball lately. Lots of people on the forums have had compatability issues with the motherboard BIOS and the latest 45nm Intel CPUs.

Ok. Thanks. One other question.In your current recommendations, will the components in each of your three levels all work together? In other words if I choose the "top notch" components, can I be sure that any of the choices for motherboards will work with memory, processor etc in the list?

The Wise Monkey
06-05-2008, 11:43 AM
As long as you pair an Intel CPU with a socket 775 motherboard, and an AMD CPU with a socket AM2+ motherboard, then everything will work together.