PDA

View Full Version : Monitor reverts to standby when computer is turned on

SL_1965
06-02-2008, 05:40 AM
HELP!!!...first boot problem...monitor reverts to standby when computer is turned on...have tried the monitor on another computer and it works fine...the cpu fan works...we've pulled the computer apart completely and rebuilt it...same problem...when the Ram is removed the computer beeps so we know the warning system is working...we have reset the CMOS...tried the RAM in different slots...we have connected the monitor directly to the onboard graphics port on the mother board...the parts listed below are all new...please...please...please help

Mother Board is Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L
RAM is 1 stick of DDR2 2gig
Hard Drive is 320gig
Power supply is 500W Max
Graphics card is MSI NX7300 TD256EH
Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.8ghz, 1mb L2 CACHE, 800MHz FSB

The Wise Monkey
06-02-2008, 06:01 AM
It sounds as if your motherboard might be dead -is it under warranty still?

SL_1965
06-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Thanks for your reply Wise Monkey...we've just tried a new motherboard...same problem...any other ideas?

RickyTick
06-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Sorry to hear you're having problems.
Let me say first of all that I really don't have an answer for you, but I just wanted to throw around a couple of ideas.

If your monitor is going into "standby" mode, I would guess that its not receiving an input signal. So could the issue be with the video card? I would suggest trying a different card. I bet you could find a used 7300LE card for less than $20 somewhere.

What kind of monitor is it?
Windows XP or Vista?

Maybe its a configuration problem. Is onboard video disabled?

SL_1965
06-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Ricky Tick

I have no idea how to check if the onboard video is disabled...and subsequently how to enable it...

Will see if we can scrounge another video card...unfortunately the one in my older machine is not compatible...grrrrrrr

We have windows XP but have not loaded it yet as we can't even get to the BIOS screen

The monitor is a DELL (works on our other computer)

Barrister73
06-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Possibly trying to send a digital signal when the monitor is set to receive analog? Or the other way around, perhaps?

MRR

RickyTick
06-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Possibly trying to send a digital signal when the monitor is set to receive analog? Or the other way around, perhaps?

MRR

Yeah, that what I was thinking maybe.

RickyTick
06-08-2008, 10:21 PM
I got this from Dell. Not sure if it applies to your issue.

How to disable your integrated video as posted by the Dell Forum Moderator

* Right click the My Computer icon
* Click Properties
* Click the Hardware tab and/or the Device Manager button
* Open the Display Adaptors. You should see the Intel video card
* Double click the listing for Intel whatever
* At the bottom under "Device Usage", click the down arrow and change this to "Do not use this device, disable"
* Click OK- Apply- OK
* Close all boxes when done
* Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart
* Press F2 at the blue Dell logo screen
* Down arrow to either:
Onboard Devices- Primary Video
Primary Video
Integrated Devices- Primary Video Controller
* Change yours to AUTO or PCI (whatever is listed)
* Press ESC several times to Exit and Save your changes
* As the system starts to restart, power the system off
* Open the case cover and add the PCI video card
* Connect the monitor to the added PCI video card
* Power on your computer
* Let the computer boot up and load the drivers off of the CD provided with the card

SL_1965
06-09-2008, 06:30 AM
We connected the monitor to the other computer and tried to find somewhere to adjust the analog/digital signal...no luck

We can't disable the integrated video card as we can't even get to the BIOS screen

Thanks everyone for your help...we are about to admit defeat and take it to a technician...have a feeling it is something silly

Barrister73
06-09-2008, 07:19 PM
I have only an analog monitor, so I am only guessing on what to do.

Any chance there is an actual button/switch/anything on the monitor itself to make it switch?

MRR

SL_1965
06-09-2008, 10:55 PM
We tried that Barrister73...lol...i pushed everything that even remotely looked like a button...but to no avail...thanks for the help

Barrister73
06-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Ok, final thought.

Do you have a video card installed? If so, having it connected to the motherboard probably causes the built-in monitor hookup to get no signal. Get rid of the card and try again.

MRR

SL_1965
06-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Problem solved...was a faulty stick of RAM...the computer now works perfectly...thanks heaps everyone for your thoughts and help

The Wise Monkey
06-13-2008, 03:24 AM
Glad you got it sorted - its amazing how many things can cause this kind of problem. XD

Barrister73
06-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Problem solved...was a faulty stick of RAM...the computer now works perfectly...thanks heaps everyone for your thoughts and help

Did we honestly not suggest bad RAM on this thread earlier? We suggest that as the cause of every problem.

MRR