PDA

View Full Version : Boot Up Problems

Talgian
02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Hey everyone,

Thanks to Rob's excellent guide, I've been using my self-built computer since early August, with only one problem (the sound card came loose once, I just put it back in). I fear I have done something truly stupid though, and I am not sure how to remedy my mistake.

I was using Registry Mechanic to clean up my registry, and I think I deleted some important files. I don't remember their names, but I remember they started with HKEY or something like that. Anyways, I realized that I had done something wrong, so I tried to do a System Restore to the previous week. The computer restarted just fine, but then once it went into windows, the System Restore window wouldn't load up. It was just my desktop without a Start bar and icons, and the outline of the SR window. After about an hour of waiting, I shut it down, and tried to start my computer up again, and that's when it got bad.

I turned the computer on, and I heard three long beeps. It doesn't go into windows, it doesn't actually do anything. All I get when I turn on my computer now is three long beeps and a completely blank monitor.

Here are my specs:
Case Raidmax Sagitta

PSU Coolermaster 600W

Motherboard Intel D975XBX Bad Axe Rev 304

CPU Intel Pentium 4 520J 2.8GHz 800MHz 1MB Socket 775 CPU

RAM OCZ Technology 2GB PC2-5400 DDR2 DIMM Memory Kit

GPU MSI Radeon X1900XTX RX1900XTXVT2D512E Video Card

Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB Hard Drive

Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Card ( 70SB046000007 )

DVD RW Pioneer DVR-111D Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer - Black

CPU Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density 3.5g Silver Thermal Compound

Any help is really appreciated!
-Talgian

Rob
02-05-2007, 09:43 PM
I think a lot of things in the registry start with HKEY, so just about anything could have been deleted.

As for the three beeps, you can consult your motherboard or computer manuals for your particular system, but they most likely mean that the RAM is bad. You can try reseating the RAM. If you are using Crucial memory then it comes with a lifetime guarantee.

I'd suggest replacing the RAM modules (assuming it checks out that the beep codes are signaling bad memory) and then trying again. Maybe things will work out.

As you may know, I'm a big fan of GoBack, which is a disk restoral utility. It's saved me more times than I can count. You should add it once things are straightened out.

Hope that helps. Keep us posted.