PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard

bootsy72
05-20-2008, 08:20 AM
My keyboard will occasionally turn off for no reason. The numlock light goes off, and then the keyboard will not work until I restart the computer.

It is not a "check the cord and make sure it's plugged in issue."

I have USB keyboard plug-in enabled in my BIOS.

I recently upgraded my video card and it is a MSI 8800gts (g92) oc.... could an overclocked video card be causing this? I noticed that when I downclock the video card some, the issue seems to go away until I restart the computer at some point and forget to downclock the card again.

I have checked for drivers online.. there aren't any to update to.

Specs:
Antec III w/ 500W PSU
Intel E8400 Wolfdale
2 Gigs Crucial Ballistix RAM 6400 4-4-4-12
MSI 8800GTS (g92) OC
320Gigs WDC
DVD/CD Rom

I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

The Wise Monkey
05-20-2008, 10:51 AM
What operating system are you using, and what keyboard?

bootsy72
05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
I am using windows XP and my keyboard is a Nexxtech. Just a plain ol' keyboard.

This is the 2nd one--I took back a different one suspecting something wrong with it, but this one has the same problem. So it's not the keyboard...

The Wise Monkey
05-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Have you tried using a different USB port? Do other USB devices work OK?

bootsy72
05-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Other devices work fine. I have a mouse out of the USB and it hasn't had any problems. I have used other slots and still get the same problem... it's just random.

The Wise Monkey
05-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Hmmm...

One thing you could try is running a repair of Windows XP - boot from the OS CD, continue as if you are doing a fresh install, and it should give you the option to repair your current installation by pressing R, iirc. This will replace all of the OS files with the originals on the disc. You will need to download all Windows updates again, which is annoying, but you will keep all of your files and installed programs.

bootsy72
05-20-2008, 05:22 PM
The next time my keyboard goes out, I'll give that a try... I messed around with the BIOS--so I'm hopeful that it might have done something.. but we'll see I suppose.