PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade help...

globesurveys
05-17-2008, 11:32 AM
I have an old IBM Thinkpad and let my son used it for online games(any games he fancy to play, he is 10)

These are the specs i got from the laptop:
cpu-mobile intel(R) pentium(R)4-M 1.9Ghz
ram-512MB (no idea about the model & make)
C: 25.3GB
D: 8.83GB

My question, would this be enough for online gaming?
do i need to upgrade any of the specs?

i know nothing about computer parts,just starting to know some just now reading your page.
any advice and suggestion is appreciated.

thanks
chris

The Wise Monkey
05-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Upgrading laptops is very difficult - you can't really upgrade much. Since it is an older laptop, it probably doesn't have a separate graphics card, meaning that you can't upgrade this. The only thing you could really do is upgrade the RAM, but that wouldn't do that much.

Graphics memory plays a much larger part in gaming performance than any other component, so you probably won't be able to play many games. You might be able to play a few games at the lowest settings.

RickyTick
05-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Wise Monkey is right, but it sort of depends on what kind of games he wants to play.

For instance, my 6yr old son plays a lot of games at playhousedisney.com. There are several for older kids too, like yours. He would be too old for Mickey Mouse, Little Einsteins, and such, but there are some cool Power Ranger type stuff too. These really don't require a high power pc, but you will need a high speed internet connection, ie broadband.