PDA

View Full Version : Mobo or Hard Drive Driver Question.

zburns
05-17-2008, 11:22 AM
I am following Rob's Asus M2N32 SLI Deluse build list. My rig is up and running, not finished, Vista Ultimate loaded -- no problems so far. One WD Hard Drive, 320GB.

In "Device Manager", under Disk Drives, the driver is a Microsoft driver dated 6/21/06. Under Storage Controllers, the driver is NVidia nforce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller -- downloaded from the Asus support disk that came with the Mobo.

From Rob's 2006 book, I do not think he mentions anything other than downloading from the mobo support disk or the mobo's manufacturers website, drivers for the hard drive when prompted by the install of the XP software.

My question, or confusion is simple; it appears I have running a separate "simple" driver to "physically" run the one Hard Drive and a separate set of more complitated software to "manage" the storage configuration on the Hard Drive, ie. two drivers working together to "run and manage" the Hard Drive.

I called Asus tech support this am; the tech looked at his Device Manager, Disc Drives and Storage Controllers and saw the same thing as I am seeing. However, he had no explanation.

I looked on the Internet for an explanation or definition for Hard Drive software as opposed to Storage Controller software but did not find anything that stood out as a clear explanation.

I hope I am being clear about my confusion; can anyone explain. Look at your Device Manager, Disc Drive and then at Storage Controller -- see if you have different drivers.

Thanks in advance. zburns

The Wise Monkey
05-17-2008, 01:01 PM
OK, I am unsure with your question... what's the problem?

Disc Drive and Storage Controller are different things, so of course they have different drivers.