PDA

View Full Version : My New Build is messing with my head

jimbobwood
05-16-2008, 06:13 AM
I have just finished my first new build and need some help before I set about it with a hammer and a blowtorch. The build consists of the following

Antec 900 case
ASUS P5KC AILifestyle series IP35 mobo
Core2 Quad Q6600 processor
Hi-Power 700w PSU
Maxtor 500gb SATAII drive
Gigabyte Radeon HD3850pro 512mb Graphics
e.t.c.

I have everything built and when I connect the power the mobo light shows that the mobo is getting power. When the power button is pressed, I get a brief tantilising glimpse of things to come as all the fans start (including the heat sink and graphics card), the fan LEDs light up and then immediately evrything shuts down and I am left with the single light from the mobo glowing constant green.
I replaced the standard Intel seat sink fan that was supplied with the processor with a Artic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 pro Socket 775 processor cooler during the build (the intel seat sink is still in its packaging), could this be the problem?

Any advice gladly received as I am warming up the blowtorch as I write.

As an aside, I have been reading the posts on Cable Management within the Antec 900 as I am having the same issue. I have managed to tuck any unused power cables into the base of the unit under the drive bays which does not obstruct the air movement from the front fans. This has made the whole thing so much neater. Still a fair amount of spaghetti though.

The Wise Monkey
05-16-2008, 06:39 AM
This sounds like you haven't plugged in the CPU power cable - there should be a 4-pin cable from the PSU that can plug into your motherboard.

jimbobwood
05-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I had thought about this as my mobo user guide states that unless the 4 pin is plugged in the system might no boot. My proble is that there is no 4 pin coming from the PSU. The main mobo supply initially looks like a 24 pin supply but is actually a 20 pin supply with a 4 pin attachment that slides onto the end to make a 24 pin supply.

Any advice?

The blowtorch is looking better and better

jimbobwood
05-16-2008, 07:15 AM
After your last post, I have gone back to my PSU and there are 4pin 12v connectors, cunningly disguised as 8pin connectors joined together. Have now plugged one into the mobo and my room is filled with the beautiful sound of 7 roaring fans and I am bathed in blue LED. Like a pig in poo

After that knuckle dragging oversight, I am sure I will be back to you for some help as I make my first voyage through the BIOS minefield.

Cool board, thanks for the quick response.

The Wise Monkey
05-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Glad you got it sorted.

Don't feel too bad about it - that is a suprisingly common problem we see around here. :)

stormcool
06-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Hello:

I just finished my pc build and ran into a similar problem as JimbobWood. When i press the power button, the cpu fan, case fan and power supply fan started to spin, then it shuts down right away, leaving only the green light on the motherboard. The difference is that I doubled check my 4 pin power cord and it is plugged into the motherboard, so I do not know what else can be wrong. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

my set up
intel duo e7200
asus p5n-e sli
ati 3870 (only one graphic card)
350w power supply

Thanks!

stormcool
06-07-2008, 12:13 AM
The power supply does work because I simply took it out from my old working pc on the same day of my new pc build. The only thing is that the power supply had 20 pin power connection and my new motherboard has 24 pin power connection, so I went out and bought an adapter to fit the connector to my motherboard. I read on the internet that 20 pin psu should work with 24 pin motherboard given an adapter. Just thought to give a little bit more info.

Thanks!

The Wise Monkey
06-07-2008, 06:39 AM
I think that your PSU may not be powerful enough - the 3870 is quite a power hungry card.

Try the other first boot common problems first though:

http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_first_boot_common_problems.shtml

stormcool
06-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Last night I was trying different things. I noticed that my motherboard does not have all the ground pins grounded, so I used some random screws to ground the two pins of the motherboard so that the screws touch the side of the case (I assume that's grounding). I turned on the pc, all fans started running for 10 seconds, then the whole thing shuts down. But after that, every time I try to start, no fan is running any more, not even 1 sec. I am wondering if I fried something or short circuited something. Is there anyway to test whether I fried something? The green light on the motherboard is still on, but nothing happens now when I turn on the pc. I also disconnected the graphic card and checked power switch pin. Any idea is appreciated.

Thanks!

stormcool
06-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Hello:

After try almost all the things on the first boot problem page, I seriously think it might be the psu. My 4 year old power supply outputs 350w, but I never had to use the 4pin cpu power connector until now. the dc output for 12v is 16A. Is it too little for the motherboard and intel E7200? But the thing confuses me is that when I stripped everything down to just the motherboard, cpu and power supply, the pc still won't boot. No fan running, nothing, just motherboard green light. So my questions is if the power is inadequate for fully configured system, shouldn't it work for the bare minimum setup?

Thanks!

The Wise Monkey
06-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Ok, it sounds as if you may have accidentally fried your motherboard... XD

Is it still under warranty?

stormcool
06-07-2008, 12:05 PM
I just bought a new power supply and it's still not working. This is a new motherboard I bought from newegg, so hopefully I can return it. Just wondering if I should return the cpu and memory as well because I am not so sure that the cpu or memory is not fried.

Right now if I turn the power on, the cpu "tried" to spin, but only symbolically move an half inch. So I suspect my motherboard is done.

But this is strange because is motherboard so easily fried? because I didn't smell anything. All I did was to screw the motherboard against side of the computer case, that can really fried the motherboard?

Thanks!