PDA

View Full Version : Little Help Here (PSU Related)

bootsy72
05-13-2008, 10:14 PM
I have an Antec III Case (the very same one recommended on the site) that came with a 500W power supply. I also have a 19 inch monitor and an 8800gts (g92)OC 512 mb graphics card and weird things have been happening.

For example, the keyboard would just randomly shut off.. until I restart the computer.
THe monitor would suddenly go black.. until I restart the computer.

(Does this sound like a PSU issue?)

Ever since I underclocked my overclocked graphics card a little bit, there has not been a problem.. but I'm still a little nervous.

There is a guy selling a Dell 650W XPS power supply on Craigslist for $10.. at $10, why not?!

My question is: Will a Dell XPS power supply fit in my case? I understand that they are made to unique dimensions.

Thanks for your help

The Wise Monkey
05-13-2008, 11:06 PM
It could be that there wasn't enough power coming through to your card, and you just put it under the limit when you reduced the overclock.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend buying a PSU from a pre-built PC - they are usually low quality, and you have no guarantee that it will work at all. Plus, since Dell use proprietary components, it will probably be a strange size, as you suspected.