PDA

View Full Version : MOBO will NOT power on! Massive problems...

biodole
05-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Hello -

I decided to upgrade to a new MOBO and CPU+heatsink/fan in my rig

my prior setup was:

Raidmax Sagitta Mid-Tower Case
Apevia Iceberg 680 Watt PSU
MSI K9N-SLI Platinum Nvidia 570 MOBO
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ w/ stock fan/heatsink
2GB DDR-800 Ram
EVGA Nvidia 768MB 8800GTX Video card
Razer Barracuda Sound Card

I replaced the MOBO and CPU with the following:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
Intel Q6700 CPU
MASSCOOL Tower fan+heatsink w/ arctic thermal paste

Anyway, heres the deal:

I Unplugged the PSU from the wall, opened the pc (which was working absolutely fine before this upgrade), removed all the cords and peripherals. I cleaned out the case a bit, and began the fresh install.

I installed the CPU and fan+heatsink to the mobo.
Then I installed the mobo to the case
Then I put in the ATX 20+4 connector and the 12v 4 pin connector
I plugged in the F-Panel stuff from the case (power sw, reset sw, etc)
I plugged in the video card, and made sure all the fans were plugged in
Plugged in the hard drive.

Then I turned the power supply on, made sure it was plugged into the wall, and pressed the case button....MOBO did not power up.

After hours of trying different solutions, I bought a new power-supply thinking my old one died somehow. The new power supply a raidmax 530 watt sli modular one, doesn't work either.

I tried powering up my old mobo in a bench test to test both PSU's..

I laid the OLD amd mobo on a piece of cardboard, plugged in the old PSU, inserted the ram, and used a flathead screwdriver to touch the TWO RED PINS on the F_PANEL connector to start the board. Nothing.

Now I'm extremely confused...Both my original setup, and the new setup (with BOTH PSU's...the new and old one) will not turn on! No fans, no lights, nothing.

WTF IS GOING ON??? I'm tearing my hair out!! someone please help!

The Wise Monkey
05-11-2008, 07:25 AM
This may sound like an obvious question, but was the PSU switched on?

biodole
05-11-2008, 01:43 PM
haha, yeah I've tried BOTH power supplies with the switch in BOTH direction (just in case the wiring was reversed). I also made sure the power outlet that I plugged the PSU into was full working. Also I tried it in another outlet as well.

urbanheroics
05-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Im having the same problem with my EP35C-DS3R mobo and Q9450 CPU. I bought new ram, new PSU, and still nothing!

Let me know if you figure something out.

Barrister73
05-12-2008, 08:49 PM
You do not mention (directly) if the PSU fan spins or not. I believe that its fan should spin even if a mobo is not connection. If it is not, try a different outlet. See if there is a fuse or breaker in the PSU that can be replaced.

MRR