PDA

View Full Version : Writing forum "replys" -- time limit?

zburns
05-09-2008, 07:49 PM
To one of the moderators: Several times yesterday and today I wrote reply's to "Snark" Posts and they did not transmit; they were long and took some time. Happened again tonight.

Is there a "timing out" process on writing the replys or I am I just doing something stupid or what. I know I was logged in on some of them that did not transmit. zburns

shyster
05-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Not that I am a moderator, but when you were trying to put out the messages were they "timing out" after hitting the submit reply button?

Or was it something like you started typing a message, went to eat a two hour dinner and then came back and finished typing the message?

Or written another way roughly how long does it take you to type out one of your long posts?

Just for me personally I think I have had a message in "limbo" for up to thirty minutes and it transmitted just fine (by limbo I mean I had hit the post reply button, started typing a message, but did not hit the submit reply button until the thirty minutes passed). I believe I have also had some rather long posts so while there may be a character limit per post I do not believe I have hit such a thing.

Either way the more information you can give the better.

Are you always at the same place when you try to transmit your message, like for example you only try to post at home, or at work? If that is the case have you tried posting from another location and run into similar problems?

Do you ever find that after your post fails to transmit that you are logged off the forum?

zburns
05-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Shyster: I do not think that my replys are any longer than some of yours that I have seen. In my case, same computer, same location etc.

Initially I did not look to see if I was still logged in or not, but as I was experiencing the problem, that occured to me and I started looking before I hit "submit", as was the case last night when the reply did not fly.

So I just assumed a "timing out" might be the case and wrote the thread. Your comment about character length is also a possibility.

If "timing out" or character length is an imposed condition on the replys, the moderators or Rob should know about it. Thanks. zburns

The Wise Monkey
05-10-2008, 08:08 AM
There is no time out period, as far as I know, so this shouldn't really be happening.

My advice would be to clear your cookies, then see if the problem occurs. Otherwise, you might like to write your replies in a word processor first before posting them.

zburns
05-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Wise Monkey: Thanks for the info. Timing out was a possibility. Will delete cookies. zburns

Jamie Nixx
05-10-2008, 09:30 AM
I have this problem as well WM, if i spend a while writing a post and then submit it, i have to sign back in again.

RickyTick
05-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Mine times out too. I write a lot of replys while at work, so it might take an hour to write 2 paragraphs. For me though, when I click Submit Reply, I get the login screen. At this point I simply log in and my message is posted. My message is not lost, its like writing "offline".

The Wise Monkey
05-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I keep myself logged in all the time, so I never have this problem. XD

How long did you set the log-in period for?