PDA

View Full Version : Where to find compatible components

Shruikan2
05-09-2008, 02:38 AM
I read the main computer building part of the web-site and was just wondering where you go to find out if a certain component is compatible with another. Such as if I have a certain computer case where do I go to find a compatible Power Supply or motherboard, etc., etc. Also where do I find out what components are compatible with other components. Like what motherboards to use for certain hard drives or power supplies. Does it matter what type of floppy disk drive you use and how do you connect to a motherboard with only one FDD connecter but you have a CD/DVD drive and floppy drive that need to be hooked up using the FDD.

The Wise Monkey
05-09-2008, 05:30 AM
Almost all modern computer components are compatible with each other, so you don't need to worry too much about that. If you are in doubt, post the components here and we will try and help. :)

Shruikan2
05-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Cool, thanks. Also about floppy drives, if a mother board has only one FDD connecter how do you hook the floppy drive to the motherboard. I noticed that the majority of motherboards I've looked at have only one FDD connecter. The one I have in my PC has two. One for CD/DVD drive with a master hooked to the drive and a slave not hooked to anything and the floppy drive is connected straight to the motherboard with a master cable that has no slave connecter. This is the only thing that confuses me. Other than that I am ready to start motherboard hunting.

The Wise Monkey
05-09-2008, 12:06 PM
This should sort you out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232015

Shruikan2
05-09-2008, 11:07 PM
How exactly does it work? Do I hook it to the floppy drive and the CD/DVD drive?

The Wise Monkey
05-10-2008, 05:52 AM
No, you should have a FDD connector on your motherboard, and a separate IDE connector for the DVD drives. I thought your post meant that you had two floppy drives, in which case this can be used to connect both of them to the same motherboard.

Have a look through Rob's instructions on installing the floppy drive and the CD/DVD drives, as he points out the difference between the FDD connector and the IDE connector on the motherboard.

Shruikan2
05-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Cool, thanks.