PDA

View Full Version : Computer Trouble

Shruikan2
05-09-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm pretty new to this and I'm not sure where to begin. My PC is an HP Pavilion a316n series. I've upgraded the memory to 1GB in one card slot. Everything was fine for a few months but then my PC started restarting itself right after it would get to the desktop screen. I tried a system recovery but it will restart about 2 minutes into the recovery and send me to a blue screen with a various error on it stating windows had to shut down to prevent damage to the PC. I contacted HP about this and they gave me a run around and eventually after numerous e-mails they told me it "may" be the memory module or the motherboard itself. They told me to take it to the nearest HP shop and have it diagnosed and repaired. I wanted a second opinion. Also if it is the motherboard how do I find out what motherboards are compatible with my PC case?

The Wise Monkey
05-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Try running Memtest: http://www.memtest.org/

This is a very useful tool for diagnosing memory problems.

If it is a motherboard problem, then the best thing to use is a tape measure; there are several standard motherboard sizes - ATX and microATX being the most common. Every motherboard within a certain form factor is the same size, so the best option would be to measure the size of your current motherboard, then compare it to the chart on wikipedia to find what size it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_computer_form_factors#Tabular_inform ation

Shruikan2
05-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I went to the web-site and downloaded the program. I ran the test and I'm not sure what I'm looking at. It says that 0% passed. It also has 2 errors in the highest error address: 000280030d4 - 640.1MB. Not sure if this means the memory is bad or if the motherboard is bad. It also says the ECC is off and the chipset is disabled. Lol I'm lost.

The Wise Monkey
05-09-2008, 12:07 PM
It sounds as if your memory is bad. Can you return it and get a replacement?

Shruikan2
05-09-2008, 11:38 PM
I don't have a phone number to call Kingston Technologies. I'm sure I can find it though. Not sure if they will replace it being that it is 2 to 3 years old. Also I did measure my motherboard and it is 8 and 5/8 inches wide (220mm) and 9 and 13/16 inches tall (250mm). Closest thing I could see that would match that is a microATX. Not sure if it would fit though.

The Wise Monkey
05-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Actually, it sounds as if you have a mini-LPX motherboard, as this is used in slimlin retail PCs. Unfortuntately, these are difficult to get hold of outside of retail PCs.