PDA

View Full Version : More of a forum suggestion

shyster
05-08-2008, 03:49 PM
I was just thinking that since we often times recommend basically the same parts over and over again, or at least the same grouping of parts.

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to just add a sticky to the BYOC forums that has a list. This list would be the usual parts that we recommend, for specific build types, such as High end gaming, budget gaming, Profressional quality video editing computer, average video editing computer, etc.

I think we could just title it in such a way that would make people want to look there, then they could get a feel for the parts for their build type they want. From there if they still had questions they could make their own post.

I just thought it might be useful to have this, since we could both link people to it who maybe did not see it, as well as pull links from it for easy reference when trying to give someone a specific link or visual of the part.

Just a thought, tell me what you guys think.

RickyTick
05-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I have thought of this exact thing before and have been meaning to suggest it for a long time. I think its a great idea. We just have to come to an agreement as to what are the best parts for each build.

Budget Build - around $500 USD
Mid-Range Build - $1000 - 1200
High-End Build - $1500 - $2000

I'm all for it. Let's talk about it.

The Wise Monkey
05-09-2008, 05:33 AM
Ok, brainstorm a few systems and I'll make the thread. :)

I think that AMD is probably best for the budget build, as the components are generally cheaper, and it is easier to get integrated graphics with the AMD chipsets.

Intel for the other two - dual core for the mid range, quad core for the high end.

RickyTick
05-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Ok, let me kick this off with the Budget Build.

Prices are based on Newegg as of May 9th, 2008.

Sonata III case (with 500watt psu) $130
Gigabyte mobo MA78GM S2H $90
Athlon X2 4800 $76
EVGA 8600GT 256 mb $50 after MIR
Caviar SE16 320gb HD $70
Samsung SH S203B DVD R/W $33
Corsair XMS2 ram 2gb (2x1gb) $34 after MIR

That's roughly $485.

I'm wondering if going with Intel might be a better option. The E2180 is not quite as fast as the X2 4800, but since its a LGA775 it offers a better upgrade path.

So, if we use the E2180 for $72 with a Gigabyte GA P35 DS3L for $100, it makes the total $489. Well within our budget.

What do you think?

bighoo93
05-09-2008, 03:23 PM
I would suggest offering a handful of options for each component that fall within the budget (and mid-level and high-end) range, rather than a single system. That way you don't have to pick just one when there are really at least a few that you think would make a good choice at that price point. Otherwise its a little like Rob's website (which is excellent) in that you just have one build to go on (or two), so there are still just as many questions remaining. Your first post (#3) in this thread is exactly what I'm thinking of: http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1613

RickyTick
05-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Your first post (#3) in this thread is exactly what I'm thinking of: http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1613

That was a pretty good post, if I do say so myself. :D

Seriously though, I know what you're saying. I'd be curious to hear what the Mods have to say.

The Wise Monkey
05-09-2008, 04:11 PM
I think bighoo is right - 2/3 suggestions for each category would be a good idea. Since cases are entirely personal choices, maybe only suggest them for the budget build, as some come with built in PSUs.

shyster
05-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Heh, when I originally posted, this I had meant for there to be 2/3 options for each part, where applicable.

While I had been kicking this idea around in my head for a while, like Ricky says he was, I decided to just post the idea after seeing Ricky's post #3. That was what really pushed me over the edge as it were.

I also think we should have if possible listings for both AMD and Intel on the budget side, with sort of a brief discription of what each build brings to the table. So on AMD's side it would be onboard video good for home theature use or general web surfing and word processing etc. While the Intel side would have better upgrade options should a person want to do that, as well as the other bonuses that Intel's side provides.

As for mid range systems I think Ricky pretty much nailed it with previously posted #3, so that one is pretty much covered with possibly minor editing for variables.

The high end system would probably be for video editors and 3d rederers. The parts for that one just off the top would probably at least be a quad core Q6700 or Q9300, Q9450. It might also have either the Quadro video card which is supposed to be THE card for 3d video rendering and/ or possibly have it a dual CPU running system.

The last one is just an idea, I have seen computers that do it, but I have not really talked to someone who has built one or really run one to know if it is worth it.

Have you ever had the pleasure of building one of those WM?

The Wise Monkey
05-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I have built computers with more than one CPU, mostly servers. I tell you, there is something strangely satisfying about booting a computer with 2 quad core Xeon processors, 32GB of RAM and 8 Raptors in RAID 5 configuration for the first time. :D

To be honest, it is worth it if you need to do really complex stuff, like hardcore video editing, as the programs that are available can support all 8 cores; having two processors practically halves rendering times.

However, you are talking really expensive stuff here, and using the Xeon processors is the way to go, so that adds extra expense. The motherboard alone will be $400 plus and the latest Xeons cost $1200+ each. It is possible to use the older Xeons, of course, as they are still very good - the 5400 "Harpertown" core processors are the last-but-one edition, and they are down to about $300 each. Plus they are socket 771, so the motherboard market is well established.

Sorry to ramble on, but it was an interesting question. XD

shyster
05-10-2008, 01:22 AM
Just a brief follow up to one of your statements WM. You mentioned that Xeon's are the way to go but are they actually more expensive?

I am just wondering because after the shortage of E8400's the Xeon version of them, E3xxx or something like that I believe, came out and they were more or less the same price as the E8400's. In actuality they were less at initial release because of the price gouging and lack of supply for the E8400's.

As a follow up, if the prices are not different is there actually a difference in performance? I know people were buying the xeon versions of the E8400's when they could not find the originals, but will they notice a difference?

Or is this whole line of questioning completely off mark since the only xeons that are different are the Q series of Xeons?

Finally do you have a "reasonable" system in mind or that you could come up with for this section we are building that uses a dual CPU motherboard?

The Wise Monkey
05-10-2008, 06:16 AM
The main difference between the Xeon processors and their standard counterparts is that they use a very different architecture. Xeon processors are truly multi-threaded and so a single quad core Xeon can look like 8 processors with the right OS and memory.

They also require specific memory - you can't just buy some generic DDR2 and stick it in there; you need FB-DIMMS (fully buffered DIMMS) which are like PCI-E to standard PCI - they use a serial rather than a parallel interface. As such, they run slightly slower when gaming as games tend to do a lot of random read/write commands, which is ideally suited to DDR2/3. However, if you are using software designed for multiple cores then using a Xeon will make a significant difference, as you can read and write from memory at the same time.

As for a reasonable build, how about this:

Case: whatever, needs good cooling though
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182101
CPUs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117149
RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134327
PSU: Corsair 620HX
GFX card: 8800GTS 512
HDs: 2x WD Raptor 150GB in RAID 1, 2x WD 500GB in RAID 0

Those are the main components - comes to about $2000. Of course, you could always leave out the RAID items, or go with slightly less powerful CPUs and not take too much of a performance hit.

Rob
05-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Great idea, guys! Way to make it happen!