PDA

View Full Version : Election Primaries

The Wise Monkey
05-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Is it weird that I have stayed up to 1:30am to watch the vote counts come in from the latest primaries even though I'm not American? :D

chunkylover53
05-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Not at all. It's hardly news anymore... it's like reality TV. At the next debate, I expect Simon to pop up and tell Hillary that her argument was rubbish.

RickyTick
05-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Most Americans don't even do that. :)

I used to be a total political junkie. My college major was Political Science. I later added a second major of Economics.

Politics can be so irritating. There are possibly thousands of people in the US that would be a better president than the 3 we have running now, but they aren't willing to do it because its such a dirty business. And thats not exclusive to the US.

The Wise Monkey
05-07-2008, 03:50 AM
I guess. I've always been interested in Elections though - I always stay up to watch the UK General Elections when they are on. Don't know why. XD

shyster
05-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Just to reiterite what Ricky said most Americans do not pay any attention to politics and would definately not stay up late to watch them.

So yes as a foreigner you are damn weird. :p

As for your other statement Ricky I agree that many people could do the job better than the current three. However I disagree that it is because politics is a "dirty business." The majority of big American companies can fall into that same category so it is not really a good argument. I believe the main reason is because we are still stuck as a bi-partisan system. It prevents other candidates from making a good and honest run for the presidentcy.

Really all we need to do is have a lottery, stick every Americans name over the age of 35 in a hat and have someone pull out a name. Nine times out of ten I guarentee that the person picked will be better than the majority of our presidents.

RickyTick
05-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Really all we need to do is have a lottery, stick every Americans name over the age of 35 in a hat and have someone pull out a name. Nine times out of ten I guarentee that the person picked will be better than the majority of our presidents.

Remember what William F. Buckley said, "I'd rather entrust the government of the United States to the first 400 people listed in the Boston telephone directory than the faculty of Harvard University."

shyster
05-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Well you can say remember if you want, but I had not ever heard that before. It is an awesome quote that expresses my point though.

It is also completely true, using the "elite" to rule over the average is a system we tried to kill when we ditched the queen, so then why have we gone back to it?

The rich and/or super educated can sometimes make a wider range of choices because of options given to them, but they rarely understand the lives and troubles of normal people. As such they rarely ever make the "correct" choice, or the choice that benefits the average people.

The Wise Monkey
05-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Lol, the Queen doesn't actually do much any more - it is all the job of the Prime Minister. She's just there for the American toursists. :p

Cirndle
06-30-2008, 11:24 AM
I am going to start calling you teh "The Drunk Monkey"

The Wise Monkey
06-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Hah, why?