PDA

View Full Version : sata power supply cables

limski
05-05-2008, 11:27 AM
need help: where to plug in 5pin(15 pin other end) SATA power connector. My PSU:corsair -520chx and MOB is Gigabyte Ga-p35-ds3l, rev. 2. Or need power adapter cable Gigabyte s/n: 12cfi-2serpw-dir(serial ATA'2)? Thanks

shyster
05-05-2008, 11:42 AM
I am not sure exactly what your question is.

What kind of sata are you trying to power? An optical drive, a hard drive, something else entirely?

As I remember the power cord that goes from the power supply to any of those drives looks kind of like a rectangle with an "L" shape to it that fits against the solid "l" that is part of the drive.

If this does not answer your question please explain in greater detail.

The Wise Monkey
05-05-2008, 12:57 PM
As I remember the power cord that goes from the power supply to any of those drives looks kind of like a rectangle with an "L" shape to it that fits against the solid "l" that is part of the drive

You're confusing the power supply with the SATA data cable. The data cables have an L shape, but the power cables are flat trapeziums /=\... ish :)

shyster
05-05-2008, 01:12 PM
I will not say you are wrong, since I doubt you are, but I was positive that BOTH were the "L" shape and they were just labled power and data.

However now that you bring it up it does seem possible that were was a different but similar feeling connector for the power cords.

limski
05-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi, thank's replay, I try to connect Sata power connectors to new Seagate HDD, 7200.11 500gb. There is two cable connection, a): Sata interface cable(L shape) b): power adapter cable with solid I(15pins) goes to HDDs, and other end (5pins) to wires coming out from corsair PSU or connect to MOB. But I can't find 5 pine connectors either PSU side(CPU 8-pin, only one left) nor MOB. This reasons, I posted. Once again, thank your reply Shyster and Wise Monkey.

The Wise Monkey
05-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Ok, you don't need to plug in both power adapters - only the 'I' shaped one. There should be a cable from the PSU that looks like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SATA_power_cable.jpg

Plug this into the 'I' shaped socket on the HDD.

limski
05-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Wise, thank your for help. Its my part careless, because I never look the PSU case carefully, I thought it's just a black steel case, which has all the plugs built in. A million years, never find it without your help. Once again thank's million.

The Wise Monkey
05-06-2008, 01:27 AM
No problem - glad you got it sorted. :)