PDA

View Full Version : New build problem

bob windom
05-04-2008, 12:11 PM
I got by both my first and second boots with no indications of any problems, in fact everything went much smoother than I had expected, however when it came time to load Windows XP and start the installation of drivers I ran into a CPU temperature indicater problem showing up on the system status screen of the Abit uGuru screen. It showed a reading that changed from 0.0 to over 140 degrees and yet in feeling the CPU itself it obviously was not overheating, in fact it was very cool. The last time I booted up after a more than 2 hour shut down time, the CPU temp immediately indicated 127 degrees and the computer was automatically shut down. There obviously had not been enough time to build up any kind of temperature in the unit. My system is as follows:
MB - IP35 Pro
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E 8400
Memory - Corsair 4 1GB
Graphics - EVGA 512-P2-N756 GeForce 8600GT
Power - Antec 500W
Hard Drives - 2 West. Dig Caviar 500GB
Optical - Asus 20x DVD Burner
OS - Windows XP S2

The last time I booted and just before it automatically shut down the readings on the Abit uGuru System Status Monitor showed the following

Get System Warning
Ext Clock 340 MHz
CPU Temp 127 Fan 1980 RPM
CPU Voltage 1.14

Are there any issues here that I should be aware of or any ideas as to where the problem might lie? Many thanks for any help you might send my way.

The Wise Monkey
05-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Hmm, I would suggest uninstalling that program, and try using something like Real Temp or Core Temp - both are much more reliable at determing CPU temps.

bob windom
05-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Many thanks for your suggestion and it is one I certainly will take.

Bob Windom