PDA

View Full Version : Not powering off

vnammour
04-10-2007, 08:53 AM
I have just finished building my first PC. I have an ATX form tower, an Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel motherboard, dual core 2 duo processor, 2 SATA II drives, 2GB memory. I have SUSE linux installed on the drive connected to SATA 0 on the motherboard. When I poweroff the PC, I see that everything recieves the TERM signal, but just when it is supposed to turn off power, it hangs and does not turn off. I installed windows on the second drive, removed the linux one, and connected the win drive to SATA 0, boots ok, everything good, but when I ask Windows to Turn off Computer, the same thing happens again, I have to manually press the power off button to eventually turn off my machine. Any advice/feedback is greatly appreciated. It does not seem to be a software problem, because it happens both in the linux and windows worlds.
Thank you.

Rob
04-11-2007, 06:00 PM
In the Windows world, this is often caused because some software driver or applications is hung.

vnammour
04-13-2007, 04:00 PM
In the Windows world, this is often caused because some software driver or applications is hung.
I have installed windows xp with SP2, and I have updated all drivers, for the motherboard, the graphics card, everything, and still it is not powering off completely, I can hear the hard drive shut off, the display turns off, but the cpu fan and the tow case fans keep on running. I am kind of puzzled, initially I thought Linux, but now even when I disconnect the linux hard drive and just boot windows, it is happening too. I tried to update the bios, but since the bios update requires the PC to reboot, it is also hanging on me when it tries to reboot. If you think of any possible cause that I can check, please let me know. Thanks.

Rob
04-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Are you using GoBack? I've seen it cause this problem sometimes.

vnammour
04-14-2007, 12:55 AM
No, I am not using any backup utility (if GoBack is so). I have a D975XBX2 Intel motherboard. The pwer supply unit is Seasonic M12 600W, one thing that got my attention about it is that on the box it says that it supports Pentium Prescott and AMD. I have intel pentium dual core processor, but that shouldn't matter, that is only a psu, right?

I tried to update the bios for the mother board, but since the update requires a shutdown and a reboot, it did not succeed because the machine won't shut down.
Rob, do you think that the network card can cause such thing. I am using the one built in the motherboard, but I wonder if it is somehow related. I am just trying everything at this point, it is not a critical problem, just annoying and makes me wonder if there is a major fault that is causing it. Thanks

Rob
04-14-2007, 07:18 AM
My guess is that it is not a major fault causing the problem. But some application or software driver that is causing it. You can try installing updated drivers for the motherboard chipset and other components. You can try looking through the task manager to see what applications and processes are running when you're ready to shutdown.

I guess it's possible for the built-in network card to cause this, but I don't know how likely that would be.