PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Dell Dimension 8100

alfo666
05-03-2008, 10:16 PM
I have Dell Dimension 8100; upgraded the hard drive, added dvd r/w and repaced dvd/cd rom. I would like to keep the case but upgrade the motherboard for faster performance (currently 1.7ghz Pentium4) when bought in 2001.

Which kind of updated motherboard will 'fit' this case? ?

Al

RickyTick
05-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Sorry Al. Dell uses a proprietary motherboard and cannot be replaced without major modifications. Its really not feasible to try. I think it uses an Intel 850 chipset which is pretty outdated, plus the 8100 has AGP video cards (im pretty sure). You're much better off building a new system instead of dumping more money into that. jmo

bighoo93
05-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Sorry Al. Dell uses a proprietary motherboard and cannot be replaced without major modifications. Its really not feasible to try. I think it uses an Intel 850 chipset which is pretty outdated, plus the 8100 has AGP video cards (im pretty sure). You're much better off building a new system instead of dumping more money into that. jmo

Amen to this. Build a new system, then there will be much more appealing answers to a similar question a few years down the line. I ditched Dell for this very reason.