PDA

View Full Version : Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless BIOS question.

zburns
04-27-2008, 04:20 PM
My setup follows Robs recommendations. At the moment the Sony DVD, CD, R/W drive you recommend is installed. WD Caviar HD, 320 mB.

I first installed the Sony Drive as the IDE Master, then changed the jumper on the Sony to "slave" position, Sony Drive then recognized as IDE Slave. I am using one IDE "round" cable with only two plugs in lieu of the Asus flat ribbon cable with mobo plug, master plug and slave plug.

WD Caviar is hooked up as SATA 1 and recognized as such.

BIOS question / problem. In your book, page 144, you say DISABLE OnChip IDE Channel0. This choice shows up in the M2N32 BIOS under Advanced, On Board Device Config, IDE Function Setup, (then last sub menu) OnChip IDE Channel0.

With "OnChip. . " ENABLED, the Sony Drive is recognized on the Main Menu page as IDE master or IDE slave (depends on jumper on Sony DVD drive).

With "OnChip. . "DISABLED" the Sony Drive is not recognized on the Main Menu page. Also, with OnChip "DISABLED", IDE DMA transfer acccess and IDE Prefetch Mode are also (automatically) DISABLED.

The only way to have the Sony Drive "not be recognized" is to set "OnChip. . " to DISABLE in the IDE Function Setup sub menu.

You indicate in the book that with no IDE hard drive, "On Chip Channel0 and Channel1" must be DISABLED "otherwise Windows XP will fail to install saying that setup could not find the hard drive".

(As a side point, no "Channel1" shows up in my BIOS, I presume that is because only one device is IDE connected.)

Since this thread is so long, the question is: Sony DVD drive recognized only when IDE Function Setup, OnChip IDE Channel0 is ENABLED. Do I have a problem or is this normal BIOS for IDE Function Setup for the Asus MN32 ?

On the scale of BIOS experts, I do not even qualify as a "least expert". HELP. Seriously, I do not want to load Vista until I figure this out. I will try the WD Data Lifeguard Utility but I do not see that as a connected issue.

Thanks, zburns