PDA

View Full Version : P5KC Bios

pb126
04-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Does anyone know what the correct settings are for the key BIOS parameters for the P5KC? I left everything to default but when I loaded up Visa but it did not load properly; no control panels, nothing comes up under Properties, so sometihng must be set wrong. I have Rob's book which I bought but it's quite dated I must admit, older motherboards, XP, etc. I have the E8400 processor.

shyster
04-25-2008, 03:59 PM
So are you in windows that you do not have any control panels or are you in bios?

And what do you mean nothing comes up under properties? Where exactly are you trying to click properties? Is it from the desktop, the start bar, where?

More information is always helpful than less especially with high tech equipment.

Finally if you are already in windows and do you see anything that is 99% I would bet a windows issue not a motherboard bios issue.

Bios at most would affect whether you could connect to the internet or use your USB ports it would not affect general control under a windows setting.

Easiest thing to do would probably be to reload windows, but only after you give more information since it could just happen again if you did something wrong.

pb126
04-25-2008, 06:17 PM
I ended up tallking to the guy in the local computer store, he changed a BIOS setting for the hard disk access (setting to enhanced I think), then we reloaded Vista and this time it came up properly. So not sure if it was the BIOS or a Vista install issue, I do think you may be right it was a Vista issue though because it didn't seem to me like the BIOS change was that important. Not sure why Vista didn't load right on the first go-around.

The Wise Monkey
04-25-2008, 09:16 PM
This is a bug in Vista, and has nothing to do with the BIOS settings - it is caused by a problem with the Software Licesning service.

If it happens again, press Windows Key + R to bring up the "Run" dialog box, and type in "services.msc" and press enter. You may need to confirm this with the UAC at this point.

When the Services window appears, scroll down until you find the Software Licensing service. Right click this, and select Restart. It will probably say something about ReadyBoost, but just accept this. Once the service has restarted, you should be able to access the Control Panel etc. again.

pb126
04-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks Wise Monkey. You're probably right because it did load OK on the next try although it did hang again at the blank/bluish screen for a long while. before moving on.