PDA

View Full Version : Pop from motherboard, Uh oh... First Build

heffe6
04-18-2008, 12:52 PM
This is my first build, and everything was going fine, until I got to the first boot. (which I guess inst really that far in). I plugged everything in, and nothing happened. I got the motherboard light when I turned the switch on in the back, but nothing happened with the power button on the front, no fans, no display, no nothing.

The only thin that was bothering me was this part (http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_connect_power_supply.shtml) of the instructions

Yet somehow the power supply fan needs to connect outside of the power supply. But that's the way it is much of the time. The connector may be a 3-pin connector, such as with the power supply I'm using, or a 4-pin connector. The connector may be labeled as being for the power supply fan, which is helpful, but it's not labeled with the power supply I'm using. Even so, it's easy to pick out as the lone 3-pin connector cord coming from the bundle of power supply cords.

I found a 4 pin connector, but the only place to plug it in was a three pin chassis fan. Well, like I said nothing happened when i turned it on, so I tried the other chassis fan connector. Still nothing so I tried the other possible position of lining up the 4 pin connector with a 3 pin slot, and when i hit the power button, there was a flash, a pop, and the faint smell of something burning. The flash came from the three pin connector on the motherboard labeled Cha_fan_1. Incidently, in the user manual, that one is labeled Cha_fan_2. Good Stuff!

So I took that piece off altogether, and now all my fans spin, I get one beep on the motherboard, but Im not getting any bios information on my monitor.

Is it a lost cause with the motherboard? Or maybe only one of the additional fans shorted, and I can get around it?

Any ideas why im not getting any bios information? I just dont want to continue to trouble shoot if the motherboard is gone.

Im building a computer very similar to the one this site recommends, I have a:
antec sonata III case
a Asus p5n sli motherboard
EVGA 8600 GT video card

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Jeff

heffe6
04-21-2008, 01:40 AM
For those who are interested:
Well, I switched out the motherboard, but the new motherboard didnt work either. Got the same short beep, but no video.

So I thought maybe I shorted the video card, so I got a new video card... nothing.

I didnt think it was the ram, cause I had two sticks and neither worked.

Finally, I switched the input on the monitor from the cord with the big white connectors to the one with the small blue connectors and bingo, it started right up. (forgive my ignorance on what they are called).

I switched everything back, and it all worked! Even after my motherboard exploded, everything works. (I probably just shorted a system fan).

Even though its frusterating to have a stupid cord cause so much trouble, its the easiest to replace, and now I have an awesome computer. The rest of the installation was a breeze.