PDA

View Full Version : Taking HD TV into account

Tom_ZeCat
04-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Okay, in Feb '09 we all are going over to HD TV whether we want to or not. I'm not in any rush to buy a high-def TV because it would mean I get to make firewood out of a large oak entertainment center I own. I plan to use a conversion box and keep my current TV (which is large and quite nice and fits perfectly in my entertainment center).

So in Feb '09 I'll be keeping my same TV and converting a digital signal. I also have plans to build a PC that I use as a Media Center one. I therefore need to take into account the change in TV signals that's unavoidable. Since I'll be converting digital to analog, will my Media Center PC continue to record the same as before? What about when I eventually get a high-def television?

I imagine I need to get a computer with massive memory -- like 4 gig -- and the fastest processor I can, and a big-ass hard drive like a 1 terabyte drive (or more?). For an operating system I was thinking of Win XP Media Center or Win XP Pro plus 3rd party media center software. I'm even considering Linux if I can get good media center software that runs under it. I see no reason to go for Vista since the big deal about Vista is its improved security. I won't be networking this computer and therefore don't have big security needs. I won't even need antivirus.

In any event, what changes should I plan for when we get to Feb '09 and I convert from digital to analog signals, and thereafter when I actually do get a high-def TV?

RickyTick
04-17-2008, 09:04 PM
I don't see much of a reason to go with XP. By 2009, Vista will be the OS of choice for the majority of computer users. In fact, we may even be looking at Windows 7 by that point or at least by early 2010.

shyster
04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Well first thing is first. You seem to be confusing HD TV with digital TV, they are two totally separate things.

Fact: In 2009 all TV broadcasting will move over to digital signal. The reason is so emergency services can have the analog channels all for itself.

Assumption: You seem to make the assumption that when TV signals convert to digital they will all be HD signals and channels. That is not correct however. HD is a "premium" package all providers charge you extra to have and use it, and so it is not something that will be given out free just because the medium, the signal on which TV is broadcasted by, has changed.

Speculation: You did not mention what kind of cable connection you currently have, but if you have a home entertainment center and a nice big tv that fits in it, it is safe to guess that you are not using an antenna for your TV watching needs.

Fact: You only need a converter box if you are using an antenna to pick up TV broadcasts. If you have a landline cable connection, or I believe direct tv and satelite count also, you do not need a converter box.

I need more information about how you have your computer set up. Are you currently running a line through your TV into your computer and having it record? Or is it a standalone machine that is recording based off of its own "antenna?"

As for your computer as I mentioned above the signal will change, but the program will not, so you should not need to upgrade it if you are just making the signal change over. When you finally decide to actually buy an HD package however that is something different. I am not all that familiar with the workings of HD, but it does take more space because it is broadcasting at a greater DPI, and consequently it will probably better hardware to record it, similar to if you are watching a dvix file versus and h264 file.

All in all though unless you explain in greater detail what you are doing with your media pc, I cannot give you any exact information about how you would want to proceed. Space however is getting cheaper so there is no reason to not get more of it, but because it is always getting cheaper there is no reason to buy more than you need of it.

As Ricky said there is no reason to not go with vista it is already pretty much standard and only the hardliners are still staying with XP, by 2009 even those hardliners will have to move to vista for the most part.

Also if any "out of towners" read this, and by that I mean you guys in other countries, is this 2009 conversion happing in your countries also? Has it already happened? Do you guys think we are stupid for doing this? Opinions thoughts questions?

Tom_ZeCat
04-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks for your reply. I was under the incorrect impression that the coming digital broadcasting change meant everything would be HD TV. Your post cleared that up. Thanks.

Speculation: You did not mention what kind of cable connection you currently have, but if you have a home entertainment center and a nice big tv that fits in it, it is safe to guess that you are not using an antenna for your TV watching needs.

Actually, I am using an antenna for now. Previously I had standard analog cable. However, I've recently moved and started up with a new job. I'm using rabbit ears for now until I get settled and pay down some of the moving costs. At that point I plan to get something better, but haven't decided what. It will be either analog cable like I had before or digital cable or satellite TV.

I need more information about how you have your computer set up. Are you currently running a line through your TV into your computer and having it record? Or is it a standalone machine that is recording based off of its own "antenna?"

Neither. This PC is not built yet. I'm gathering information for the purpose of building one. I want to make sure I build a PC in a way that can handle the coming change over. Since the Feb '09 digital signal is not HD TV, I don't have to accommodate the ability to record HD TV at that point. I only have to whenever I switch over to HD TV.

As Ricky said there is no reason to not go with vista it is already pretty much standard and only the hardliners are still staying with XP, by 2009 even those hardliners will have to move to vista for the most part.

Actually, Vista's greater security than previous Windows OSes works against me here. It's extra bloat that I don't need. I won't be networking this PC to any other computer or the Internet. The only input it will get will be through the cable or satellite or rabbit ears (if I ever need to use them for some reason). I therefore don't need the extra processes that Microsoft has added that monitor programs for suspicious activity. I don't want to run those. And I won't be installing any antivirus or anti-spyware programs. Security is not a big issue for this computer since it will never be connected to the Internet. And any files I add to it will have first been scanned for malware by my regular PC.

I'll begin building this machine some time in 6 to 9 months. For right now I'm hooking up an obsolete Pentium III machine to my entertainment center for the sole purpose of playing MP3s. It will not be used for any TV recording. (See my threads about the "Clunker Junker.") When I build my media center PC, it will take over the old machine's MP3 playing duties, plus add the ability to record TV.

Thanks for the help.