PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about the AMD 780 chipset?

jclaydon
04-16-2008, 01:21 PM
I got this a spam email about a new chipset from amd that will supposedly give HD graphics at a low cost right out of the box. There is a review which I am about to read here http://www.trustedreviews.com/motherboards/review/2008/03/06/AMD-780-Integrated-Graphics-Chipset/p1

Is there anyone who knows what the deal is and wether or not this will save amd?

too little too late?

What does everyone think?

-James

shyster
04-16-2008, 03:49 PM
I just skimmed the article, but my decision to your question would be a resounding, "falls on its face, cannot even compare, NO."

Basically AMD is trying to make something Intel has not because it seems the realize they have lost the CPU war. Their newest chips run hotter and not as fast as the new Intel chips. So now they are messing around with an onboard graphics system.

It is not bad in theory, AMD historically been a lower priced alternative to an Intel system, and if you are just building a computer for home use, keeping photos, watching movies, playing music, then this would not be a bad way to go. If the technology was working anyways. However the article mentioned that even for Home theatre use it was not comparable to a mid range standalone graphics card.

So if you take into consideration the fact that graphics cards have been dropping in price like mad the past few months, I bought an 8800GTS for around $280 when I built my computer, you can now get it for around $200 with crysis, and of course the 8600's you can now get for around $50.

So all in all, if AMD can pull off a working solution, that is an onboard graphics card that is at least good enough to play any and all video, discounting games, then they might be able to live on in the shadows of Intel as a still cheaper home theatre alternative.

Those are my thoughts on that article anyways, but I would love to hear others opinions.

Jamie Nixx
04-18-2008, 01:12 PM
I think Shyster summed that up perfectly.