PDA

View Full Version : Think I'll get it a try

Col.bigdog
04-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Hello everyone:

Interesting site! Was thinking of replacing my old outdated PC......and after veiwing this site I think I will try to build rather then buy.

I am a nontech so to speak, a retired firefighter with a old HP I've had now for about ten years still running the old windows 98 on a p11 450.....lol.

I've changed out a few harddrives, up dated memory, and installed a new processor in my old HP, but that is the extent of experience.......still I think I can do this........

Thanks Rob for this site, and the info..........

I am starting to order parts now ....." Should I say a prayer " ? .........lol.

Just kidding ......looking forward to start the build.....and very good to know you guys are around, in case of emergencies! I'll be around for sure as this project developes

The title should be " Think I'll give it a try" I am always good for a misspelling now and then! Maybe the moderator could change that if time allows.

partyman97_3
04-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Hey Bigdog, will you give us a chance to critique your build before you buy? I am in no way trying to poke fun at you, but there is a lot of knowledgeable folks that hang out here and maybe we can help you pick out the best stuff for your needs and also maybe save you a buck or two.

As far as emergencies go, being a retired fire fighter, I don't imagine you would panic easy. Congrats on the retirement, I have several friends who are fire fighters and I for one appreciate their commitment to society.

jclaydon
04-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Hello everyone:

Interesting site! Was thinking of replacing my old outdated PC......and after veiwing this site I think I will try to build rather then buy.

I am a nontech so to speak, a retired firefighter with a old HP I've had now for about ten years still running the old windows 98 on a p11 450.....lol.

I've changed out a few harddrives, up dated memory, and installed a new processor in my old HP, but that is the extent of experience.......still I think I can do this........

Thanks Rob for this site, and the info..........

I am starting to order parts now ....." Should I say a prayer " ? .........lol.

Just kidding ......looking forward to start the build.....and very good to know you guys are around, in case of emergencies! I'll be around for sure as this project developes

Actually if you've changed the processor on your old computer, then I'd say you are ahead of a majority of people who have used this site for a first build. That was the hardest part for me personally, but then I didn't use a stock cooler, I opted for an artic freezer..

I thought i was going to crack the silly motherboard trying to get that silly thing in, but I STILL managed to get everything to work, which is proof positive that ANYONE can do this.. ;)

take care

-James

Col.bigdog
04-14-2008, 04:21 AM
Hey Bigdog, will you give us a chance to critique your build before you buy? I am in no way trying to poke fun at you, but there is a lot of knowledgeable folks that hang out here and maybe we can help you pick out the best stuff for your needs and also maybe save you a buck or two.

As far as emergencies go, being a retired fire fighter, I don't imagine you would panic easy. Congrats on the retirement, I have several friends who are fire fighters and I for one appreciate their commitment to society.

Good Idea Partyman, wouldn't think your pokin fun at all, I should have done that at my first post, thanks!

Money is definity a factor, around a 1000 bucks would fit my budget, give or take a few bucks. I use my PC for the internet, word processing, some gaming,I like flight simulators, and in the future would like to get into digital photo's. Also I am a do it yourself kind of guy, think this would be fun to build my own.
I plan to go mostly with the current "recipe" of components Listed here at the super PC site. Looks like a fast, affordable, and upgradeable PC to build. It's a Hotrod of a PC compared to what I am use to.

Case- Antec sonata lll

Processor- AMD Athlon 64 X 2 6000 + AM2 with fan. I will get the Zalman CNPS 9500 fan

Mobo- ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe I like the ability to be able to upgrade.

Ram- Crucial Ballistic 1024MB PC2 8500 DDR2

Video card- eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 320 MB DDR3

Sound card- I will use the onboard sound intergrated in the Mobo, I already have speakers, and headphones

Hard Drive- I already have a Seagate Ultra ATA/100 80gig Interal drive I can use

CD-RW and DVD-RW. - Maybe the sony DRU840A Not decided yet

Modem- I have a US robotics V92 internal 5610A I can use till I get DSL

Keyboard and mouse- Probably go with the logitech cordless LX710

Monitor- I already have a Acer P191w LCD

OS- I will go with Windows XP home edition upgrade

Thanks for the congrats on the retirement.........You know, now that I am retired, I stay so busy, I sometimes wonder how I found time to work! lol. I use to spend a average of 56 hours a week on the job, wouldn't have time for that now.......lol. Anyways.....there is my recipe. What ya think?

Col.bigdog
04-14-2008, 04:29 AM
Actually if you've changed the processor on your old computer, then I'd say you are ahead of a majority of people who have used this site for a first build. That was the hardest part for me personally, but then I didn't use a stock cooler, I opted for an artic freezer..

I thought i was going to crack the silly motherboard trying to get that silly thing in, but I STILL managed to get everything to work, which is proof positive that ANYONE can do this.. ;)

take care

-James

Thanks James, Gald to hear you didn't crack your Mobo!

RickyTick
04-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Here's a thread from last week on a build that ran around $900. Check it out.
http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1512

This would be much better than the one you listed in your previous post.

What do you think?

Col.bigdog
04-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Here's a thread from last week on a build that ran around $900. Check it out.
http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1512

This would be much better than the one you listed in your previous post.

What do you think?

Thanks Rickytick for your suggestions. I reviewed your components, compared to my listings, and for the uses I listed I think your system recommendations are better. I probably made my first mistake, didn't do my homework! My considerations for the parts recipe mostly delt with compatibility issues. I've already received most of the parts I ordered, and don't really want to take the return road at this point, I am just way to busy with so much other stuff. I acted to fast I guess but, still think I'll go with what I have. I think it will work just fine and the prices are close enough. I think this will be ok for my first build. Still....As I've said before it's good to know you guys with the expertise are here in case I run into problems. Thanks again.

RickyTick
04-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Your system should be more than adequate for the needs you listed.

If you play Flight Sim 2004 you should have no problem, but Flight Sim X is very demanding on even the most powerful systems.