PDA

View Full Version : where to connect Antec 900 fans??

pb126
04-13-2008, 09:18 AM
I have the Antec 900, Asus P5kc, and Corsair PSU520, as recommended in these forums. Can't figure out the connections for the fans. The mobo only seems to have two connectors for 2 fans (and the Antec has three, a 200 mm and two 120 mm). Only one connector from the PSU left over post connecting the power to the mobo and it doesn't seem like it attaches to the fans. The fans also have both a molex and a three pin connector. How does one connect all this? Thx.

partyman97_3
04-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Hello PB, I also have the Antec 900 and I just connected the case fan to an one of the 4 ping molex connectors coming off the power supply. I think I connected the top fan and the hdd fans to a connector and the rear fan to another connector from the power supply. I am guessing your case is the same as mine, the fan connector is set up like a male and female connection. You can plug the fan into the power supply and plug another fan into the other side of the fan connector. You can then set the speed of the fan manually using 3 speed switch coming from the fan. I am guessing again, but I think the 3 pin connector you are referring to is actually a 3 speed switch. I have my computer set up in the basement, so noise is not an issue for me, so I have all the fans set I high. I know this is overkill for my setup, but what the heck. Depending on your case temperature and your tolerance for noise, you may wish to do it differently.

pb126
04-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks Pman. Which PSU do you have; is it the Corsair? Mine is the Corsair and I don't see a male/female molex there.

partyman97_3
04-13-2008, 06:29 PM
I also have the hx-520, but the male/female connector I was refering to is the connector on the fan on the case itself. All of the fans on my 900 have the dual connector style, but I suppose yours could be a different style. I think RickyTick also has a 900, maybe he will jump in and confirm this for me.

Barrister73
04-13-2008, 09:16 PM
I have same board and PSU. I connected fans directly into the PSU with the cables supplied with PSU (1" four pin). The cords marked "fan only" work just fine. I got stuck at first because it looked as if I needed to put two males or two females together, but the fan's cord connector (I believe) can be turned around and plugged in on the other side.

MRR

RickyTick
04-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Mine is just like Partyman's.

pb126
04-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Finally figured this out using the connector cables from the black Corsair bag (which I had misplaced). Also got a great tip from one of the tech support guys at Corsair who does sytem builds for trade shows. He advised me to take the motherboard off (once again!), then carefully lay down the cables aainst the side panel (flat side down) and tape them down with electrical tape. Then you place the motherboard on the standoffs and if you have done the job correctly the cables all have space to run in the 7-8 mm gap between the side panel and the mobo. So you have a very neat setup where the fan power cables are mostly running under the mobo and will not restrict air passage when the fans are on. Pretty much the only cables floating on top the mobo are then the 24 pin power and the smaller 4 pin power cord.