PDA

View Full Version : Everything seems fine, but no POST seen

lakeleman
04-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I am new here, Never built a PC before, but would like to try my hands on it. Last night, I did first boot. 4 case fans, PSU fan and everything else seemed working fine. According to Rob, I should see POST on my monitor after turning on power, but I did not see POST (CPU, RAM, HDDs,.....), What I saw on the screen were two messages only:
(1) 'Unknown CPU is detected, updating BIOS is required to unleash its full power! Press F1 to resume'
(2) right after that. the next screen says: ' Boot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key' . If I press a key, the 2nd message would repeat again. What's wrong with my assembling??
Here are my system cofig:
Motherboard: Asus P5K Premium/WiFi-AP, CPU: Intel Xeon E3110, RAM 2x2GB, 4x 250GB HDDs (OS, 2 DVD, Floopy drive, not installed yet, R0 to be configured).
Much appreciate your help/advice.

shyster
04-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Well first I would suggest re-reading Robs site.

As far as I can remember it does not say you will see "POST" at least not as a word that appears. POST is an acronym for, Power On Self Test. If you have video and more importantly were able to get into bios, then it means POST was successful and you can move on to installing the rest of your computer.

If you did not technically get into bios it is probably because you did not hit the delete key, if you hit that after initial computer beep it should take you into bios.

The Wise Monkey
04-11-2008, 04:04 PM
The first message means that you need to update your BIOS so it can cope with your CPU. :)

Just go to ASUS's website and download the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. You should be able to boot from a flash drive/CD to apply the update.

The second message appears because you haven't put the OS disk into the drive, and your computer cannot boot from an empty HD. Sort the BIOS update out first, then put your DVD drive at the top of the boot order (should be able to set this in the BIOS) and put the OS CD in the drive.

lakeleman
04-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Today, I tried to hit DELETE key and got into 'BIOS Setup Utility' successfully. The screen displayed the followings:
Sys Time[hh:mm:ss], Sys Date[mm:dd:yyyy], Language[English], SATA 1, 2, 3, 4[ST3250410AS]; SATA5, 6[Not detected], SATA Config[blank], System Information[blank]. I installed 4 x Seagate SATA 250GB HDDs. All of them were displayed as shown. System Info was blank, no info about CPU, RAM and video card. Does that means my CPU and/or RAM have been damaged? I could not download the latest BIOS to update mine since I have not ordered my OS yet. Any thoughts/ideas?

RickyTick
04-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I could not download the latest BIOS to update mine since I have not ordered my OS yet. Any thoughts/ideas?

Yeah, get an Operating System. You're dead in the water without it.

chunkylover53
04-12-2008, 10:12 PM
no info about CPU, RAM and video card. Does that means my CPU and/or RAM have been damaged?

Probably not. The BIOS needs to be updated before it will recognize some components brand/model info. Keep in mind that if you are at the BIOS screen, the CPU, video and RAM are already functioning. :)

It might be nice if you could make a BIOS disk at a friends house or office/library and update the BIOS before you load Windows OS. Not saying that you won't be able to do it the other way around, but I've seen a number of folks with the new Intel chips (such as yours) and ASUS mobos have trouble loading windows prior to updating bios.

To be honest though, probably no harm in trying. Even if it doesn't work, you won't do any damage.

lakeleman
04-13-2008, 02:21 AM
Thanks, Rocky and Chunky, Shyster and all kindly responded.
I'll try what your guys suggested.