PDA

View Full Version : Requires approval of inspector #7

kidwired
04-06-2008, 07:22 PM
hey guys,
been lurking on and off for months, and getting ready to pull the trigger.
Its been 10 yrs since I have built a system, my knowledge is very out of date.

This system is general use home pc and home office type stuff, msoffice, storing pics of the kids and about 13g of mp3 database and of course internet. Thats really about it. But my old pc has been rock solid running Win2k for 8yrs now w/ only 100G HD upgrade. My only reason for new is running into issues as system doesnt support alot of new software updates etc and internet speed is SLOW even w/ cable.

I want a system that can be upgraded and be solid enough to get another 8 yrs out of.
I would appreciate any suggestions.

HD is still undecided, want a WD raptor but not the price.

heres what I came up w/

Antec 900 case w/ 1 extra 120mm fan
Asus P5KC mobo
intel core 2 duo E6750
zalman cpu fan
Saphire Radeon HD 3870 crossfire
Antec neopower 650w
OCZ ati crossfire 2gb ddr2
Asus 20x dvdr sata lightscribe
+ a rosewood card reader and hans 19"LCD

RickyTick
04-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Welcome.

I see a lot of overkill, so here's a few suggestions for you.

The 900 case runs very very cool. I don't see the need for another fan for your particular setup.

The E6750 is a very good cpu, but the E8400 is the newest series of processors. Either one will be more than adequate for your needs. Also the stock coolers are excellent. Not much of a need for the additional cpu cooler. Its ok though.

You didn't mention gaming in your description of this pc's purpose. If you're not a gamer, running video cards in crossfire/SLI is a total waste of money.

Check out Corsairs HX series of Power Supplies. They are very reliable and are currently getting the highest reviews of psu's.

I don't see any reason for a Raptor HDD. If you store a lot of music and pictures, get the new Western Digital Caviar SE16 640gb. You won't be disappointed.

kidwired
04-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Good common sense stuff, thank you. I think you got the idea of what I want to acheive.

upg CPU check, fans check, HD check

Video card, you read that right, not a gamer but I wanted a good card, any reccomendations? I belive I'm using a matrox millenium G4 now.

PS went w/ asus as in the past I used them exclusivley, is the corsair really better? its $30 more.

RickyTick
04-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Scan through this. Its very helpful.
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/13271

An excellent mid to high range video card is the 9600GT. Not too expensive, but high in performance. Uses less power than most 8 series cards.
This one is hot, and on sale right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150277

and its hard to beat EVGA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130334

shyster
04-09-2008, 02:14 PM
PS went w/ asus as in the past I used them exclusivley, is the corsair really better? its $30 more.

I do not see where this line came from exactly, nothing about asus was mentioned by Ricky as far as I can tell. However a word of caution the P5KC is finicky, and by that I mean it often seems to arrive DOA, or will work once or twice and then die. So you may want to research your choice a little more before deciding on it.

Many people on this forum have it and it works fine for them, but many, me included had to RMA it quite a few times before we got a working one (I personally gave up and went with the Abit IP35 PRO, an awesome board).

The Corsair 520HX is the current "dealers choice" around here, very stable and extremely efficient to the point of being better than many PSU's that have a higher output. Should also last a good long time.

I would just second Ricky's recommendation about getting an E8400 if you can find one. They are originally supposed to be cheaper than the E6750 anyways as well as running cooler and with better specs. And if you do not plan to play games the stock coolers should be more than enough.

Other than that Ricky usually knows what he is talking about and will not stear you wrong.

Jamie Nixx
04-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Just listen to whatever Ricky says.

He has learnt from the best ;)

RickyTick
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Wow, thanks guys.:D

Shyster, where ya been? Haven't seen you posting in a few days. Or maybe I just missed it. :)

shyster
04-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Naww work has been busy so I have not had the time unfortunately.