PDA

View Full Version : PC problems....I think its the psu

bounceme08
04-05-2008, 01:12 PM
So i just bought all this stuff to build my own pc b/c i got it into my head that for some reason i should make my own....bleh....I put it all together and boot it up and of course it doesnt work. The fans turn on and the lights on the motherboard are on but theres nothing on the monitor. I've looked all over the internet and still am not quite sure what the problem is but i think i've narrowed it down to three things.

1. The psu isn't good enough. It's a 500w, the pc specs are below. Another thing about this psu is it only has 20 connector things (and I thought I could build my own computer :confused: ) while the mobo has 24, but it will still fit to one side.
2. The hard drive. I took the hdd and dvd+rw from another computer.
3. I reall screwed up and broke something, but not likely.

Specs are as follows:

Intel E6750 2.66GHz Conroe Processor
MSI P35 Neo2 MoBo
Raidmax 500w psu
GeForce 8600 GT
2 x 1 Gb Kingston Ram sticks
250Gb hdd
DVD+RW Drive

Any help would be greatly appreciated considering im royaly pissed off now :mad:

bounceme08
04-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I guess I should also mention that it turns on for about 2 seconds and then shuts off and then back on again and this time stays on.

jclaydon
04-16-2008, 06:22 PM
So i just bought all this stuff to build my own pc b/c i got it into my head that for some reason i should make my own....bleh....I put it all together and boot it up and of course it doesnt work. The fans turn on and the lights on the motherboard are on but theres nothing on the monitor. I've looked all over the internet and still am not quite sure what the problem is but i think i've narrowed it down to three things.

1. The psu isn't good enough. It's a 500w, the pc specs are below. Another thing about this psu is it only has 20 connector things (and I thought I could build my own computer :confused: ) while the mobo has 24, but it will still fit to one side.
2. The hard drive. I took the hdd and dvd+rw from another computer.
3. I reall screwed up and broke something, but not likely.

Specs are as follows:

Intel E6750 2.66GHz Conroe Processor
MSI P35 Neo2 MoBo
Raidmax 500w psu
GeForce 8600 GT
2 x 1 Gb Kingston Ram sticks
250Gb hdd
DVD+RW Drive

Any help would be greatly appreciated considering im royaly pissed off now :mad:

Well I could be wrong, but I would definately start with the power supply.. If the motherboard has a 24 pin connection then its a pretty safe bet that you need a 24 pin connector.

I ran into this problem with the PSU that came with my case before the Corsair i had ordered arrive.

The secondary connection only had the 4-pin connection, and the motherboard had eight. All the lights came on and the fan would spin but it wouldn't work properly until I installed the new PSU and plugged in the 8 pin connection

Also wattage doesn't really tell you all that much.. There are 600W power supplies that are made so badly that they will fail before using one that is a lesser wattage. The real question is where did it come from.

If you can, I would return the PSU and get a corsair 520HXw everyone who does PC specs here recommends this unit and I must say that i am VERY VERY happy i listened and bought one for my build..

It has all the connectors you need, and is even adaptable *the second power connection has a 4pin and a 8 pin*

if that doesn't solve your problem, then please come back and post again. The people here are EXTREMELY helpful and very patient..

-James