PDA

View Full Version : It's a start!! YAY!!!

jclaydon
04-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Well, I have no speakers yet, and I'm still having problems with the cd rom drive, BUT I am typing this message on my new computer, so obviously it works enough!

I would like to send out special thank you's to Rob for having this site, Jamie for his numerous posts and advice over the last several months. And an extra special thank you for Shyster who seemed to be the only one that had any suggestions when I was having problems getting the fans started even. heheh

I guess a little perseverence pays off. I also wanted to say that if I can get this to work then ANYONE can do it!! *grin*

-James

jclaydon
04-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Well I left the computer on overnight and it's still running! I also hooked up the sound to my home theater receiver and it works! The dvd burner i had appears to be defective but I did have a really old cd rom drive that allowed me to install this OS.

I haven't gotten all the final components that will make my final computer up *see post that Rob stickied in the building section*

But i feel confident enough to call it official and post the temp specs.

Motherboard - Asus Commando
CPU- Intel Celeron D 3.2 Mhz off Ebay for $30 incl shipping
Video - EVGA geoforce 6200 off Ebay for 40 incl shipping
generic case I bought from local computer shop
Corsair 2 x 1024Gb memory *i bought the kind with the heatsinks, but i forget the model number*
I bought windows premium OEM but i haven't used it yet, right now I'm running on Mandriva version of linux.
Corsair hx520W power supply
used 17" monitor, 80G hardrive and microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse.

total temperary cost including mistakes and shipping $570 Canadian

i'll post an update when the final components are built.. Thanks again to everyone who helped!:)

bootsy72
04-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Dude, I know it feels good when after you've struggled everything comes together. I'm happy for you bro. You done well!

shyster
04-04-2008, 12:59 PM
It is awesome to hear that you got it up and running. I am glad everything worked out in the end, more or less.

Congratulations