PDA

View Full Version : Won´t Boot Past Bios

tantriskb
04-03-2007, 03:44 PM
I have just finished building my computer but am having a bad time with boot up.

I am using an ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS motherboard with an INTEL Core 2 Duo E6600 Processor. For Graphicus I am using the NVida GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB PCIe Graphics Card. Sound is a SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum 2. I have 2 DVD Drives (one a burner and one just a reader) and one 500 GB Sata Drive. I have 4 Gigs of OCZ Memory.

The problem starts when I start the computer. Usually it beeps once and the Asus Lifestyle logo appears but the Bios does not move forward to Setup and will generally not recognize either the Vista my friend gave me, the one I bought at the store, or my old XP Install Disks.

Occasionally the computer will recognize the motherboard, then post the Bios, and even allow me to enter setup. However, usually it freezes or restarts at this point. A few times it did recognize the VISTA Disk and being to install vista, but shorly into the process the system froze.

I am completley at a loss, can anyone help?

Kevin

Rob
04-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Have you done a first boot without the optical drives and sound card? You could also try using just one stick of RAM.

tantriskb
04-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Well, actually, I have stripped the system down to just 2 sticks of memory and the graphics card. Boots fine and windows installs. Initially I though that perhaps the memory was bad, but that does not seem to be the case, as I have switched the memory and both work as long as they are installed in the A1 A2 slots. Whenever I install additional memory in the B1 B2 slots the system does not boot past bios.

what is the cause of this?

Kevin

Rob
04-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Possibly the motherboard doesn't work well with all memory modules populated. Or possibly the power supply isn't up to it with all the components installed. My guess is that it is that the motherboard does not work well all the memory modules populated.

DemonicDerek
04-04-2007, 08:52 PM
There is always the chance that the motherboard may be faulty why don't you try contacting ASUS Technical Support hopefully they will help.